News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqU.S. offered assurances about Iranian exiles days before Iraqi...

U.S. offered assurances about Iranian exiles days before Iraqi raid

-

ImageLos Angeles Times: The Obama administration downplayed international fears about the safety of Iranian dissidents living at a camp in Iraq as recently as mid-July, days before a raid by Iraqi security forces killed 11 of the exiles and left scores wounded.

The Los Angeles Times

A deadly clash after Iraqi forces stormed the camp has sparked protests and calls for better protection for the 3,500 Iranian dissidents living at Camp Ashraf.

A Times Staff Writer

ImageThe Obama administration downplayed international fears about the safety of Iranian dissidents living at a camp in Iraq as recently as mid-July, days before a raid by Iraqi security forces killed 11 of the exiles and left scores wounded.

The deadly clash has sparked public protests in Washington and around the world, with dozens taking part in hunger strikes to emphasize demands that the Obama administration provide better protection for the exiles.

It also underscored some of the challenges of the administration's plan to wind down U.S. military involvement in Iraq and cede control to a government in Baghdad that may not adhere to U.S. commitments.

In a July 15 letter to a concerned British politician, the State Department had said U.S. officials were doing their "utmost" to ensure the safety of up to 3,500 Iranians living at Camp Ashraf in Iraq.

Until this year, U.S. forces had been protecting the Iranians, who are members of Mujahedin Khalq, an Iranian dissident group based in Iraq since the 1980s.

Because of the Mujahedin Khalq's history of violent resistance to the Islamic Republic, U.S. and European governments have classified it as a terrorist group. But the group says it renounced violence years ago, and European officials dropped the terrorist designation this year.

This year, the U.S. military handed over control of the camp to Iraqis as part of the security agreement reached in December between Washington and Baghdad, a decision protested by camp residents and their relatives and supporters living elsewhere.

Nonetheless, "U.S. military representatives are in daily contact with Camp Ashraf residents and continue to monitor their situation," Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Richard J. Schmierer wrote in the letter, sent on behalf of President Obama to Robin Corbett, a member of the British House of Lords.

But in raids July 28 and 29, Iraqi security forces stormed the camp and clashed with the exiles. Iraqis said they wanted to take control of the camp and establish a police post, but camp residents pointed to pledges by top Iraqis to close down Camp Ashraf, as Tehran has asked Baghdad to do.

Widely circulated video shows nearby U.S. troops in several military vehicles observing the raid, with at least one taking photographs. But American officers in a white SUV are shown rolling up a window and driving away as Iranians, some wounded and bleeding, appealed for help.

State Department officials last week criticized Iraqi forces but did not return calls Tuesday concerning assurances given by the administration about the safety of exiles.

Latest news

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Cost of Living Basket Several Times Higher Than Iranian Workers’ Wages

Workers' cost of living has come under pressure from inflation and low wages. July inflation data point to intensifying...

‘No To Executions Tuesdays’ Campaign Expands to 60 Prisons Across Iran

According to human rights sources in Iran, the "No to Executions Tuesdays" campaign has expanded to 60 prisons across...

Iranian Regime Parliament Issues New Plan to Counter ‘Infiltration’

The general framework of the proposal titled "Countering the Infiltration of Intelligence Services and Foreign Governments or Institutions" was...

People In Iran Can No Longer Afford to Repair Household Appliances

The sharp rise in living costs in Iran has prevented many citizens from repairing household appliances, forcing them to...

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Must read

Iran’s hardliners roll back Khatami’s reforms, but how far?

AFP: Iran's dominant conservatives have been rolling back the...

Iran cleric says ‘trapped’ US forces have no choice but to quit Iraq

AFP: The United States has no choice but to...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you