Iran Human RightsIran lambasts Canada's "crocodile tears" for dead photographer

Iran lambasts Canada’s “crocodile tears” for dead photographer

-

AFP: Iran again hit out at Canada for complaining about the murder in custody here of Canadian-Iranian photographer Zahra Kazemi, saying Ottawa was only crying “crocodile tears”.
“We are confounded by him and his statements,” foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said of Canadian Foreign Minister Pierre Pettigrew.
In recent weeks Pettigrew has upped his tone against Iran. AFP

TEHRAN – Iran again hit out at Canada for complaining about the murder in custody here of Canadian-Iranian photographer Zahra Kazemi, saying Ottawa was only crying “crocodile tears”.

“We are confounded by him and his statements,” foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said of Canadian Foreign Minister Pierre Pettigrew.

In recent weeks Pettigrew has upped his tone against Iran. News reports from Brussels widely quoted in the Tehran official press quoted him as saying that dialogue with the Islamic republic was a “farce” and that greater international pressure should be brought to bear on the clerical regime.

“We don’t know on what basis he passes such hasty opinions. Zahra Kazemi was an Iranian. The Islamic republic’s government is deeply sorry, it was a devastating accident but there is no need for the Canadians’ crocodile tears.”

However Pettigrew aide Sebastien Theberge insisted that the minister had described as farcical “not the dialogue with Iran but the Kazemi trial itself”.

Ottawa has accused Iran’s hardline judiciary of covering up how the 56-year-old photographer died in hospital after sustaining a blow in custody.

Between her arrest and her admission to hospital, Kazemi was interrogated by judicial prosecutors, the police and the intelligence ministry, rival power power centres in Iran which have since blamed each other for the death.

Intelligence ministry agent, Mohammad Reza Aghdam Ahmadi, 42, was cleared of “quasi-intentional murder” in July, and the judiciary said later Kazemi’s death seemed to have been accidental as “the only suspect” had been found not guilty.

Despite an apparent effort by the judiciary to close the affair, Asefi insisted “this case is not closed and done with yet”.

Latest news

Massive Washington Rally Highlights Growing Pressure on Iran’s Regime

Thousands of Iranian Americans, political activists, and former U.S. officials gathered in Washington, D.C. on May 16 for one...

French Magazine Exposes ‘Shah-Making Factory’: Fascist Networks and Lobbies Grooming the Shah’s Son as an Alternative to the Iranian Regime

The renowned French magazine Nouvel Observateur has published a comprehensive investigation by Marie Vaton exposing the hidden mechanisms of...

Iraqi Militia Commander Arrested Over Alleged Plotting of Terrorist Attacks in the U.S. and Europe

An Iraqi militia commander has been arrested on charges of involvement in planning more than 12 “terrorist” attacks in...

Concerns in U.S. Congress Over Cryptocurrency Transfers to Networks Linked to Iran’s Regime

Two members of the U.S. Congress, Sean Casten and Gregory Meeks, in an official letter to the U.S. government,...

IRGC Increases Terrorist Activities in Gulf Arab Countries

At a time when Iran’s regime is pursuing a policy of regional militarism, a broad wave of alleged IRGC-linked...

77 Days of Internet Shutdown, A Tool of Control and a Sign of Tehran’s Real Fears

The crisis of internet shutdowns in Iran has entered a new phase. 77 days of internet cuts, widespread disruptions,...

Must read

Iran signals military sites off limits to UN nuclear inspectors

AFP: Iran said Sunday it was not obliged to...

Iran says will not abide by Security Council demands

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Mar. 15 – Iran will...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you