Iran Human RightsSecond detained Iranian director on hunger strike

Second detained Iranian director on hunger strike

-

Reuters: A detained Iranian writer and film director has started a hunger strike after he was “severely beaten” by security personnel in Tehran’s notorious Evin prison, an opposition website reported on Thursday.

TEHRAN (Reuters) – A detained Iranian writer and film director has started a hunger strike after he was “severely beaten” by security personnel in Tehran’s notorious Evin prison, an opposition website reported on Thursday.

Mohammad Nourizad was arrested late last year after he published on his blog three letters deemed disrespectful to Iran’s highest authority, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and other senior officials.

“Nourizad was taken to the prison yard on Tuesday … and was severely beaten by five security forces,” Kaleme said, adding as a result of the beating, Nourizad was suffering from impaired vision.

“He has now started a hunger strike and has informed his family that he will not survive if this situation continues,” the website reported.

Nourizad is the second detained Iranian film maker to start a hunger strike in recent days.

Prominent director Jafar Panahi, winner of many international awards and a supporter of opposition leader Mirhossein Mousavi in last year’s election, was arrested in March and began a hunger strike on Sunday.

French government ministers had called for Panahi to be allowed to attend the Cannes festival under way this week.

Nourizad, sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison and 50 lashes, was arrested after he urged Khamenei in his letters to apologize to the Iranian nation for the crackdown on the opposition movement after last June’s election, Kaleme said.

The election, which the opposition says was rigged to secure President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s re-election, plunged the Islamic Republic into months of political turmoil.

The authorities have portrayed the huge opposition protests that erupted after the vote as a foreign-backed bid to undermine the clerical establishment.

Thousands of opposition supporters were detained after the election. Most of them have since been freed but more than 80 people have been jailed for up to 15 years. Two people put on trial after the election have been executed.

(Editing by Matthew Jones)

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

A 73% Increase in Tehran Residents Moving to the Outskirts of the Capital

Domestic media, citing data from a service application, reported...

Iran detains Slovak hang-glider group: Slovak media

Reuters: A group of five or six Slovak hang-glider...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you