Iran General NewsIranian exile group critical of EU nuclear talks with...

Iranian exile group critical of EU nuclear talks with Iran

-

AP: The leader of an Iranian exile group on Wednesday criticized the European Union’s decision to negotiate a long-term agreement with Tehran on stopping its alleged nuclear weapons program, saying it would not deter Iranian authorities. Speaking to EU lawmakers at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France, Maryam Rajavi, co-leader of the exile … Associated Press

BRUSSELS, Belgium – The leader of an Iranian exile group on Wednesday criticized the European Union’s decision to negotiate a long-term agreement with Tehran on stopping its alleged nuclear weapons program, saying it would not deter Iranian authorities.

Speaking to EU lawmakers at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France, Maryam Rajavi, co-leader of the exile People’s Mujahedeen, said Iran’s “clerical regime … poses the greatest challenge to the international community.”

Rajavi said the negotiations, launched earlier this week by Britain, Germany and France, were a “European appeasement (which) provided ample opportunity to the mullahs to inch closer to the nuclear bomb.”

The EU has offered Iran aid to build up its civilian energy program and a trade deal in return for a definitive commitment that it abandon its alleged weapons program.

Iran’s top nuclear negotiator, Hassan Rowhani, said he was confident a deal could be reached which would go a long way to addressing fears in the West that Tehran was developing nuclear weapons.

Rajavi urged the EU to change its policy on Iran, saying “constructive engagement and human rights dialogue will not change anything,” and urged the 25-nation bloc to take the People’s Mujahedeen off the EU terrorist list.

The People’s Mujahedeen has been based in France shortly after the 1979 Islamic revolution toppled Iran’s shah.

The group insists it is a peaceful umbrella movement of exiled opponents of the Iranian regime, and calls itself the National Council of Resistance of Iran.

A total of 16 people, including Rajavi, were put under investigation last year before being a Paris appeals court ordered their release.

Top French counterterrorism judge Jean-Louis Bruguiere opened an investigation into possible terrorist links by the group in 2001.

The group, however, has garnered strong backing from numerous EU lawmakers and members of the United States Congress, who all want the group to be taken off the terrorist lists.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran players don protest colours

BBC: Six members of the Iranian football team have...

Abuse cited in 2nd jail operated by Iraqi ministry

Washington Post: An Iraqi government search of a detention...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you