Iran General NewsIranian president calls off trip to UN in New...

Iranian president calls off trip to UN in New York

-

Reuters: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has cancelled his visit to New York to address the U.N. Security Council because of delays in granting visas to his entourage, Tehran’s U.N. ambassador said on Friday.
By Evelyn Leopold

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) – Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has cancelled his visit to New York to address the U.N. Security Council because of delays in granting visas to his entourage, Tehran’s U.N. ambassador said on Friday.

Ahmadinejad had wanted to address the council before it votes on imposing new sanctions on Iran for its nuclear program. The meeting is expected to be held on Saturday, although it has not been officially scheduled yet.

The United States issued visas in two batches on Friday at its embassy in Berne, Switzerland, but Iran’s U.N. Ambassador Javad Zarif said it was too late.

“There was no time for the visas to be sent to Tehran in time for the president to be able to fly to New York,” Zarif told Reuters. But he said Iran’s foreign minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, who had received his visa early on Friday, would take a commercial flight to New York to address the council.

Richard Grenell, a spokesman for the U.S. mission to the United Nations, challenged Zarif’s statement.

“Too late for what?” Grenell said. “The meeting hasn’t even been scheduled yet. How can they say they are too late to come if the Security Council has not given a date and time for the event?”

Zarif said some of the visas were issued early in the morning in Berne but the remainder not until near 6 p.m. local time, which did not leave enough time to take the passports back to Tehran in time for the president’s plane to take off.

In Berne, a spokesman for the U.S. Embassy said some 38 visas had been issued, including one for Ahmadinejad, early on Friday, and an additional 40 for the entourage late in the day once all the paper work was completed.

“The applications were incomplete but they were completed this morning,” said Daniel Wendell, press attache at the embassy. “The two batches amount to about 75 visas,” he said. “That’s a pretty sizeable group.”

(Additional reporting by Daniel Trotta)

Latest news

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

Must read

Former Political Prisoner who escaped 1988 Massacre,: ‘No one was spared’

Iran Focus London, 6 October - In his article published October...

Iran’s Cabinet approves next year’s budget bill

Xinhua: Iran's cabinet members on Wednesday approved the budget...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you