Iran General NewsBrowne pledge over seized sailors

Browne pledge over seized sailors

-

Press Association: Britain is doing “everything possible” to secure the release of 15 service personnel seized by the Iranian authorities, Defence Secretary Des Browne has said. Press Association

Britain is doing “everything possible” to secure the release of 15 service personnel seized by the Iranian authorities, Defence Secretary Des Browne has said.

The missing sailors and marines were captured last Friday after boarding a dhow carrying suspicious cargo off the coast of Iraq.

Although Britain insists its forces were not doing anything wrong, the Iranians have condemned the move as an act of “aggression” and threatened prosecution.

Deputy Foreign Minister Mehzi Mostafavi said the captives were being interrogated but insisted they were not taken as pawns to be used in exchange for five Iranians held in Iraq.

Releasing a statement through state television, he said: “Iran has enough evidence to prove that the British forces personnel were detained in Iranian waters.

“It should become clear whether their entry was intentional or unintentional. After that is clarified, the necessary decision will be made.”

He gave no further information as to what will happen to them. The Iranians held in Iraq are suspected of helping to provide arms and money to insurgents.

Speaking in the House of Commons, Mr Browne said his thoughts were with those detained, their friends in theatre and families in the UK. He added: “I do not intend to comment further on this issue other than to say we are doing everything possible to secure their release.”

The British group seized last week was held at gunpoint by Iranian forces in the mouth of the Shatt al Arab waterway which divides Iran and Iraq.

The eight sailors and seven Marines – including one woman – from the Type 22 frigate HMS Cornwall were carrying out a routine search of a vessel which they suspected of smuggling.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Large-scale demonstration in Paris

On Sunday, January 18, the protests and uprising of...

U.N. watchdog eyes increased Iran presence to verify nuclear deal

Reuters: The U.N. atomic watchdog is considering increasing its...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you