Iran General NewsTreasury freezes US assets of 2 Iranians

Treasury freezes US assets of 2 Iranians

-

AP: The Bush administration took action Friday against two Iranians suspected of connections to Iran’s nuclear program. Associated Press

By JEANNINE AVERSA

AP Economics Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Bush administration took action Friday against two Iranians suspected of connections to Iran’s nuclear program. The Treasury Department action, part of efforts to tighten the financial vise on Tehran, is against Mohammad Qannadi and Ali Hajinia Leilabadi. Any bank accounts or other financial assets belonging to these two men found in the United States must be frozen. In addition, American are forbidden from doing business with them.

It marked the department’s latest move to use targeted financial measures against Iran, a country the United States accused of fostering terrorism and whose nuclear ambitions have drawn international rebuke.

“Even individuals who are active in Iran’s nuclear program are going to be held to account for their conduct and isolated by the international financial community,” said Stuart Levey, the department’s undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence.

Iran’s defiance of U.N. Security Council demands that it stop uranium enrichment and construction of a plutonium-producing reactor has led to two sets of economic sanctions against Iran. The stage has been set for a third round of U.N. Security Council penalties.

The Treasury Department alleged that Qannadi acts on behalf of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, or AEOI, which managed Iran’s overall nuclear program and reports directly to Iran’s president.

The government accused Leilabadi of acting on behalf of the Mesbah Energy Co., which is affiliated with the AEOI. Mesbah has been used to procure products for Iran’s heavy water project, the department alleged. Heavy water is essential for Iran’s heavy-water moderated reactor project, which would provide Iran with a potential source of plutonium suited for nuclear weapons, the department said.

The department said Iran’s president awarded both men government medals in 2006 for their contributions in the field of nuclear technology.

Separately, the department financially clamped down on three Libyans accused of being members of terrorist organizations al-Qaida and the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group. Those three are: Nur al-Din al-Dibiski, Said Yusif Ali Abu Azizah and Ali Sulayman Mas’ud Abd al-Sayyid.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Plans Fuel Rationing, Higher Gasoline Prices Within Next 15 Days

Esmail Saghab-Esfahani, a vice president of Iran's regime, said on Saturday, August 15, that Iran's daily gasoline consumption is...

Iranian Regime Drone Attack on Office of Prime Minister of Kurdistan Region of Iraq

Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, announced that his private office and the residence of...

Iran’s Regime is Rebuilding the Security Circle Around Mojtaba Khamenei with New Security Figure

The return of Hossein Taeb to the Iranian regime's security structures, at a time when the balance of power...

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Must read

EU warns Iran on resumption of nuclear enrichment

Iran Focus: London, Feb. 15 – The European Union...

UN nuclear watchdog to focus on Iran

AP: The chief U.N. nuclear inspector urged Iran on...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you