Iran General NewsIran says 3 detained journalists published "lies"

Iran says 3 detained journalists published “lies”

-

Reuters: Iran’s judiciary accused three detained Iranian journalists on Wednesday of publishing “lies” about the ruling system in the Islamic Republic. TEHRAN (Reuters) – Iran’s judiciary accused three detained Iranian journalists on Wednesday of publishing “lies” about the ruling system in the Islamic Republic.

Soheil Assefi was detained on August 4, following the detention of Masoud Bastani and Farshad Gorbanpour on July 31, Paris-based media rights group Reporters Without Borders said last week.

In what was believed to be the judiciary’s first public comment on the cases, judiciary spokesman Alireza Jamshidi said Assefi was under investigation, and bail of 1.5 billion rials ($162,000) had been set for Gorbanpour but suggested it might be lowered.

“Their offence is publishing false statements and lies against the system as well as giving news and information to foreign (Internet) sites who have published these lies,” Jamshidi told reporters.

A judiciary source, who asked not to be named, said Bastani had been released but said he could be called in for further questioning.

Reporters Without Borders has called on Tehran to release the reporters and criticized the country for creating “the Middle East’s biggest prison for the press”.

In last week’s statement, the rights group said the latest detentions brought to 11 the number of journalists and “cyber-dissidents” held and called on Iran “to stop hounding journalists by bringing trumped-up charges against them.”

It earlier said the detained journalists were working for or had contributed to news Web site roozonline.com, as well as other publications.

Rights groups and diplomats say Iran has launched a broad crackdown on dissenting voices in the country, which is under growing Western pressure over its disputed nuclear program.

Iran says it allows free speech, but journalists say they have to tread carefully to avoid closure.

On August 6, the Sharq (East) newspaper was closed three months after it reappeared on newsstands following a ban, its director said, the second publication critical of the government to be shut since July.

Since 2000, Iran has closed more than 100 publications, accusing many of being “pawns of the West”. Many subsequently reopened under different names.

Latest news

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Cost of Living Basket Several Times Higher Than Iranian Workers’ Wages

Workers' cost of living has come under pressure from inflation and low wages. July inflation data point to intensifying...

‘No To Executions Tuesdays’ Campaign Expands to 60 Prisons Across Iran

According to human rights sources in Iran, the "No to Executions Tuesdays" campaign has expanded to 60 prisons across...

Iranian Regime Parliament Issues New Plan to Counter ‘Infiltration’

The general framework of the proposal titled "Countering the Infiltration of Intelligence Services and Foreign Governments or Institutions" was...

People In Iran Can No Longer Afford to Repair Household Appliances

The sharp rise in living costs in Iran has prevented many citizens from repairing household appliances, forcing them to...

Must read

Iran uranium enrichment would lead to end of EU talks: Germany

AFP: A resumption of Iran's uranium enrichment activities would...

Iran Rejects Canadian Demand for Probe

AP: Iran rejected Tuesday a Canadian demand for an...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you