Iran General NewsSwiss foreign minister to sign Iran gas deal

Swiss foreign minister to sign Iran gas deal

-

Reuters: Switzerland’s foreign minister was travelling to Tehran on Sunday to sign a natural gas purchase contract between Iran and a Swiss utility, a deal she said could help ease Europe’s dependence on Russian gas. GENEVA, March 16 (Reuters) – Switzerland’s foreign minister was travelling to Tehran on Sunday to sign a natural gas purchase contract between Iran and a Swiss utility, a deal she said could help ease Europe’s dependence on Russian gas.

Micheline Calmy-Rey would also meet Iran’s Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki and other officials to discuss Iran’s human rights record and ongoing international concerns about the country’s nuclear programme.

The gas deal between Elektrizitaetsgesellschaft Laufenburg (EGL) and the National Iranian Gas Export Company (NIGEC) does not violate United Nations or U.S. sanctions imposed on Iran, Calmy-Rey said.

“This contract does not violate any of the sanctions,” she told journalists before her departure at Geneva airport.

“It is planned that natural gas from Iran together with natural gas from Azerbaijan will one day feed into a gas pipeline running from Greece via Albania to Italy,” the Swiss foreign ministry said in a statement.

EGL said last year it had completed a 25-year deal with NIGEC to deliver 5.5 billion cubic metres of gas per year to Europe through a pipeline scheduled to be complete in 2010.

The energy group at the time declined to disclose the value of the deal, but said it was above 10 billion euros ($13.32 billion) and below 22 billion euros, depending on a number of factors such as the price of energy.

Calmy-Rey said she had been invited by Iran to visit and sign the deal. She said it was in Switzerland’s strategic interest to diversify its source of energy supplies.

“We decrease our dependence, and the dependence of Europe, on Russian gas,” she said.

Switzerland has worked in the past to find a compromise in Iran’s nuclear dispute with the West.

Washington has led international efforts to penalise Iran for failing to allay suspicions that it is seeking nuclear weapons. Tehran says its nuclear programme is purely civilian. (Reporting by Laura MacInnis in Geneva and Douwe Miedema in Zurich; Editing by Charles Dick)

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iranian Officials Report a “Massive Cyberattack” Against National Infrastructure

Coinciding with the explosion at Rajaei Port, Behzad Akbari,...

Iran suggests formation of new Middle Eastern Parliament

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Feb. 12 – Iran suggested...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you