Iran General NewsAl-Arabiya bureau chief says told to leave Iran

Al-Arabiya bureau chief says told to leave Iran

-

ImageAFP: The head of the Tehran bureau of pan-Arab television station Al-Arabiya said on Tuesday that Iranian officials have demanded his departure from the country.

ImageTEHRAN (AFP) — The head of the Tehran bureau of pan-Arab television station Al-Arabiya said on Tuesday that Iranian officials have demanded his departure from the country.

"In a telephone call with the foreign press bureau of the Iranian culture ministry I was informed of my definitive exit from Iran," bureau chief Hassan al-Fahs told AFP.

"They told me the decision was taken due to the policies of the network and the work record of our Tehran bureau," he said, adding that he had not been informed about the fate of the bureau.

An official for the television expressed "condemnation and surprise" over the Iranian measure, in remarks broadcast by the channel on Tuesday evening.

Al-Arabiya "upholds professional standards and has always provided a balanced coverage of Iranian affairs," he said, adding that on such occasions the channel always invited Iranian officials to give their views.

Iranian state radio said that students from 10 universities had called for the closure of the offices of the Saudi-owned network, one of two leading pan-Arab satellite news channels which was launched five years ago in Dubai.

"This demand came after this network, which is linked with hardline Saudi movements, broadcast a a film insulting Imam (Ruhollah) Khomeini, the founder of Islamic revolution, and Shiite beliefs," the radio said.

A prominent Iranian MP had warned last month about the future of the network in the Islamic republic, according to the official IRNA news agency.

"If the Al-Arabiya network is to continue with its hostile stances against the people and the government of the Islamic republic, there is no need for its reporter to freely work in Iran," the head of parliament's foreign policy and national security committee, Alaeddin Borujerdi was quoted as saying.

"It is deplorable that the network has put denigration on its agenda instead of presenting a clear portrayal of the realities and positive events in the Islamic republic of Iran," he added.

In April 2005, the Iranian authorities shut down the bureau of rival pan-Arab satellite television Al-Jazeera amid accusations of stirring up violence in its coverage of clashes in southwestern oil city of Ahvaz, which has a substantial Arab minority. It reopened 14 months later.

In July this year, AFP's deputy bureau chief in Tehran, Stuart Williams, had to leave the country after being told by Iranian authorities that his visa would not be renewed.

Latest news

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Middle Eastern Countries Seek Ways to Move Oil Through the Strait of Hormuz

An Iraqi government source told the Iraqi news outlet Shafagh News that Iraq's State Oil Marketing Organization (SOMO) is...

Iran’s Regime Plans Fuel Rationing, Higher Gasoline Prices Within Next 15 Days

Esmail Saghab-Esfahani, a vice president of Iran's regime, said on Saturday, August 15, that Iran's daily gasoline consumption is...

Iranian Regime Drone Attack on Office of Prime Minister of Kurdistan Region of Iraq

Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, announced that his private office and the residence of...

Iran’s Regime is Rebuilding the Security Circle Around Mojtaba Khamenei with New Security Figure

The return of Hossein Taeb to the Iranian regime's security structures, at a time when the balance of power...

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Must read

US House Votes to Support Iranian People’s Protest

Iran Focus London, 10 Jan - The US House of...

Europeans Agree to Meeting With Iran on Nuclear Program

Washington Post: The foreign ministers of France, Britain and...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you