Iran General NewsSeven accused of aiding Iran group will appeal: ACLU

Seven accused of aiding Iran group will appeal: ACLU

-

ImageAFP: Seven Iranian-Americans who pleaded guilty to raising funds for a US-designated terrorist group made the plea so they can appeal their case before a higher court, a civil rights group said Thursday.

ImageLOS ANGELES (AFP) – Seven Iranian-Americans who pleaded guilty to raising funds for a US-designated terrorist group made the plea so they can appeal their case before a higher court, a civil rights group said Thursday.

The six men and one woman entered the guilty pleas Wednesday, paving the way for a swift judgment in August.

They had been indicted by a federal grand jury in Los Angeles in 2001 on charges of providing funds to the Iranian opposition group Mujahedin-e Khalq, or MEK.

The charges carry a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

But after the eight-year legal battle, the American Civil Liberties Union said the group made the guilty plea agreement to enable them to head straight for an appeals court "on the grounds that their prosecution violates the US Constitution."

The group's challenge "focuses on the fact that the MEK does not threaten US national security, in large part because the US government has itself provided material support to the same group, as court documents obtained in the case revealed," the ACLU said in a statement.

As part of their guilty plea, an agreement was made that the government would drop over 100 charges, to which the seven have pleaded not guilty, the ACLU said.

The accused admitted in court to raising funds for the MEK from supporters and others at public places like the Los Angeles International Airport.

The MEK was designated a foreign terrorist organization by the United States in 1997.

Opponents of Iran's Islamic Republic, the MEK carried out operations against the clerical regime in Tehran from Iraq, under the protection of former president Saddam Hussein.

 

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran to postpone nuclear work until next week

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Aug. 03 – Facing a...

Retirees Hold Protest Rallies in Several Cities in Iran

On Monday, August 26, retirees from the Telecommunications Company...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you