Iran General NewsTotal says has not left Iran gas deal

Total says has not left Iran gas deal

-

ImageReuters: Total said on Thursday that it was still involved in the multi-billion dollar development of a major Iranian gas field, a day after Tehran announced it had replaced the French oil major by China's CNPC.

By Marie Maitre and Muriel Boselli

ImagePARIS (Reuters) – Total said on Thursday that it was still involved in the multi-billion dollar development of a major Iranian gas field, a day after Tehran announced it had replaced the French oil major by China's CNPC.

"We are still involved in this project and especially in the major project of South Pars 11, combined with the liquefied natural gas (LNG) train," Jean-Jacques Mosconi, head of strategy and planning at Total, told the Reuters Energy Summit.

On Wednesday, the official Iranian news agency IRNA said Tehran had signed a $4.7 billion contract with China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) to develop phase 11 of South Pars, replacing Total which it had accused of delays.

Mosconi said Total, the world's fourth largest listed oil company, would remain operator in the field, which is part of the world's largest reservoir of gas.

"We are not used to enter a major project without remaining a key operator. Our role cannot change in a deep way and we will remain a key operator of the project, so this means having a key stake in the project," he said.

Total has a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Iran's oil company NIOC to develop Phase 11 but the project was overshadowed by haggling over contract terms.

NIOC has reportedly accused Total of delays and said it had given the Paris-based company an ultimatum six months ago to finalize work before Tehran moved forward with another partner.

The South Pars reservoir is shared by Iran and Qatar. The Iranian part is divided into 24 phases.

Although Mosconi would not comment on the CNPC deal, he said Total had been repeatedly rumored to have been ousted of the project.

"I can tell you we are still in," he said, adding Total had never lost its relationship with Iranian authorities.

"For sure some Chinese companies are very active to try to play major games to gain a bigger role in Iran."

With Western firms wary of investing in Iran due to its nuclear row with the United States, Tehran has been increasingly looking toward energy-hungry Asian countries to help exploit its vast gas fields.

(For summit blog: blogs.reuters.com/summits/)

(Additional reporting by Benjamin Mallet in Paris, Tom Bergin and Barbara Lewis in London)

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Refiners prepare for Iran oil embargo

Wall Street Journal: European refiners are weighing the impact...

Britain’s Conservatives urge tougher sanctions on Iran

Iran Focus: London, Feb. 01 - The former leader...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you