Iran General NewsUS touts progress with Russia on Iran

US touts progress with Russia on Iran

-

ImageAFP: Iran was the main topic in talks between US President Barack Obama and and Russia's Dmitry Medvedev, White House officials said, who added that Moscow now seemed more receptive to US arguments.

By Laurent Lozano

ImageMOSCOW (AFP) — Iran was the main topic in talks between US President Barack Obama and and Russia's Dmitry Medvedev, White House officials said, who added that Moscow now seemed more receptive to US arguments.

"Iran, in the one-on-one meeting, was the majority of the conversation," Mike McFaul, a top adviser to Obama on Russian affairs, told journalists after the Kremlin talks between the US and Russian presidents on Monday.

"There's a reason for that, because that is something that affects our real national security interests," he said.

Another top official travelling with Obama on his visit to Moscow, Deputy National Security Advisor Denis McDonough, said the Russian president made plain to his guest that Moscow's concern about Iran was rising.

"I think the president has been struck by the candor with which President Medvedev has underscored his concern about the growing threat from Iran," McDonough said.

Russia is building a nuclear reactor in Iran for the Iranian atomic programme, which Tehran insists is strictly for energy production but the United States fears could be used to manufacture an atomic bomb.

Iran — whose president has called for Israel to be wiped from the map — also possesses missiles capable of reaching targets throughout the Middle East that could be fitted with nuclear warheads if Tehran possessed them.

Iranian officials consistently deny any intention to acquire nuclear weapons but insist their country has a sovereign right, like any other, to pursue peaceful nuclear energy development.

The United States and Russia have for years differed sharply on how to approach the Iran security issue, which is also directly linked to their disagreement on US missile defence plans in Europe.

When the previous US administration of president George W. Bush introduced the programme, Washington said it was to protect against missile attacks by "rogue states" such as Iran.

But the US officials indicated they saw signs of movement on both topics during Obama's closed-door discussions with Medvedev on Monday.

"I think one of the important and one of the most significant things that developed today was a Russian acknowledgment that we need to study the growing ballistic missile threat," another top Obama aide, Gary Samore, said.

"That joint assessment is going to be focused on Iran and North Korea as the two countries which pose the most direct threat to the US and its allies and to Russia as well," he said.

During a joint news conference with Obama after their meeting, Medvedev did not mention Iran once.

But the Russian leader stated: "There are negative trends in the world and they are due to the emergence of new nuclear players.

"It is our common, joint responsibility and we should do our utmost to prevent any negative trends there…. Our negotiations with President Obama have demonstrated that we share the same attitude towards this problem."

Washington has for years argued that it needs to fortify missile defences in Europe precisely to defend allies from such a threat.

Moscow however has previously rejected that argument, saying it has seen no evidence Iran is working to develop nuclear weapons and that Iran currently has no missile capable of reaching the European allies the US system would protect.

The White House detected a shift in the Russian stance on Iran, said McFaul.

"Just remember, if they wanted to have an adversarial relationship with us with Iran right now, there are all kinds of things they could do very easily that would make our situation a lot worse there.

"And they're not doing those things."

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Italy says firmly against new Iran energy deals

Reuters: Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said on Tuesday...

Iran students plan protest against government crackdown

Iran Focus: Tehran, Jun. 09 – Student Union members...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you