Iran General NewsIran's Khamenei aide denies comments on US talks

Iran’s Khamenei aide denies comments on US talks

-

AFP: An advisor to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei denied on Tuesday expressing Tehran’s readiness for nuclear talks with the United States, the official news agency IRNA reported.

Ali Akbar Velayati TEHRAN (AFP) — An advisor to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei denied on Tuesday expressing Tehran’s readiness for nuclear talks with the United States, the official news agency IRNA reported.

“This report that ‘we are ready for talks with America about the nuclear programme’ is denied,” the office of Ali Akbar Velayati said in a statement.

Velayati had told reporters at a news conference in the Iranian embassy in Damascus on Monday: “While we do not have any faith in the American government… Iran is ready for talks on its nuclear programme.”

The veteran diplomat and top Khamenei advisor said in his Tuesday statement that the comments made at the conference had been: “Iran has never ruled out negotiations and this is not just about America but… talks can take place with other countries such as the members of P5+1 and the Vienna group with respect to Iran’s reservations.”

The United States has led international efforts to curb Iran’s nuclear drive and it has had no diplomatic ties with Iran for over three decades.

The so-called P5+1 includes UN Security Council permanent members — Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States — plus Germany.

The Vienna group which is made up of the United States, France and Russia is involved in a nuclear fuel exchange proposal with Iran.

Last week Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said he was ready for face-to-face talks with his US counterpart Barack Obama on “global issues.”

On Sunday US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Washington remains “open to engagement” with Iran while adding that Tehran had “to reassure the international community by words and actions as to what their nuclear program is intended for.”

Washington and other world powers suspect that Iran is masking a weapons drive under the guise of a civilian atomic programme. Tehran insists its nuclear programme has no military aims.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Top official says Iran to pursue nuclear strategy at all costs

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Sep. 09 – Iran’s former...

Britain pulls embassy staff out of Iran

Reuters: Britain began evacuating diplomatic staff from Iran on...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you