Iran General NewsBritain not seeking military conflict with Iran: Hague

Britain not seeking military conflict with Iran: Hague

-

AFP: Britain is neither planning nor advocating military action against Iran over its nuclear programme or its threat to close the Strait of Hormuz, Foreign Secretary William Hague insisted Tuesday.
LONDON (AFP)— Britain is neither planning nor advocating military action against Iran over its nuclear programme or its threat to close the Strait of Hormuz, Foreign Secretary William Hague insisted Tuesday.

A British frigate joined an international flotilla steaming through the strategic sea lane at the weekend, and London said it could send reinforcements if Iran follows through on its threat in retaliation for fresh sanctions.

But Hague insisted that increased diplomatic pressure on Tehran over its contested nuclear drive, including the European Union’s decision on Monday to ban Iranian oil imports, were designed to fend off the likelihood of conflict.

“I do stress that we are not calling for or advocating military action,” Hague told lawmakers in the House of Commons, where he was called to answer an urgent question on Iran.

“It’s the job of our armed forces to prepare for many contingencies. But we are not calling for that. We have successfully called for and introduced effective sanctions because we don’t want to see a military conflict,” he said.

Former foreign minister Jack Straw expressed concern during the debate about “strong demands in parts of the Israeli administration” for unilateral action against Iran, and bullish rhetoric from US presidential hopeful Mitt Romney.

Despite stressing Britain’s peaceful motives, Hague made clear that any attempt by Iran to shut the Strait of Hormuz, a key transit route for global oil supplies, would be “unsuccessful”.

Referring to the deployment of HMS Argyll at the weekend, Hague said: “This was a routine movement but it underlined the unwavering international commitment to maintaining rights of passage under international law.

“Any attempt by Iran to block the Strait would be both illegal and unsuccessful.”

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said earlier that more resources could be sent to the area, saying: “The UK has a contingent capability to reinforce that presence should at any time it be considered necessary to do so.”

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Russian firm to halt Iran ship work as pressure grows

Reuters: A Russian firm has decided to stop verifying...

World powers to discuss Iran in London Wednesday

Reuters: Senior officials of six world powers will meet...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you