Iran General NewsIndian sleuths in Iran to probe New Delhi bombing

Indian sleuths in Iran to probe New Delhi bombing

-

AP: Two Indian investigators have gone to Tehran to question Iranian suspects who they believe were involved in a bomb attack that wounded an Israeli diplomat’s wife in New Delhi in February, police said Monday.

The Associated Press

By ASHOK SHARMA

NEW DELHI (AP) — Two Indian investigators have gone to Tehran to question Iranian suspects who they believe were involved in a bomb attack that wounded an Israeli diplomat’s wife in New Delhi in February, police said Monday.

The investigators left for the Iranian capital last week after authorities there agreed to the Indian request to pursue the case, a police officer familiar with the case said on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to talk to reporters.

New Delhi police have issued arrest warrants for three Iranians they believe planned or carried out the attack. They say the Iranians performed reconnaissance at the Israeli Embassy in May 2011 before returning to New Delhi early this year to plan the attack.

Police say two of the men left India before the attack but were previously in contact with an Indian journalist accused of conspiracy in the plot. The third left India after the attack.

One of the men, Housan Afshar, had also been in contact with Masoud Sedaghatzadeh, an Iranian who is accused of involvement in a blast in Bangkok a day after the New Delhi attack. Sedaghatzadeh was later arrested in Malaysia.

Syed Mohammad Kazmi, a 50-year-old freelance Indian journalist who reportedly worked for some Iranian news organizations, is the only person arrested in the five-month investigation into the New Delhi blast. He faces charges relating to terrorist activities, attempted murder and other illegal activities. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison. He has denied all charges against him.

The Indian investigators are expected to return from Iran this week, the police officer said.

Meanwhile, the Indian Express newspaper reported that Indian investigators were also likely to visit the former Soviet republic of Georgia, where a bomb was discovered on an Israeli diplomat’s car the same day as the New Delhi attack.

The next day, three Iranians accidentally blew up their house in the Thai capital.

Israeli authorities have said the similarity between all of the explosives linked Iran to all three incidents. Iran has denied any involvement.

 

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

China advises ‘serious response’ by Iran to U.N. sanctions

Washington Post: China told Iran's top nuclear negotiator Friday...

Shutdown of IAEA’s Cameras and Increase in Iran’s Uranium Metal Production

According to the latest report of the International Atomic...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you