Iran General NewsIran unblocks access to Gmail

Iran unblocks access to Gmail

-

AFP: Iran on Monday removed online blocks on Gmail but a government Internet filtering committee official said other, additional censorship was being prepared against YouTube, according to reports. TEHRAN (AFP) — Iran on Monday removed online blocks on Gmail but a government Internet filtering committee official said other, additional censorship was being prepared against YouTube, according to reports.

Internet users in Iran found themselves able to freely access their Gmail accounts for the first time since the blocks were suddenly established on September 24.

The secure-protocol HTTPS version of Google search was also made accessible after being blocked at the same time. The unsecure HTTP version of Google search was never blocked.

Abdolsamad Khoramabadi, the secretary of an official group tasked with detecting Internet content deemed illegal, had said in a message last week that “Google and Gmail will be filtered nationwide… until further notice.”

But Mohammad Reza Miri, a member of the telecommunications ministry committee tasked with filtering the Internet in Iran, was quoted on Monday by the Mehr news agency as saying the Gmail block was an “involuntary” consequence of trying to reinforce censorship of Google’s YouTube video-sharing site.

“Unfortunately, we do not yet have enough technical knowhow to differentiate between these two services. We wanted to block YouTube and Gmail was also blocked, which was involuntary,” he said.

“We absolutely do not want YouTube to be accessible. That is why the telecommunications ministry is seeking a solution to fix the problem to block YouTube under the HTTPS protocol while leaving Gmail accessible. That will soon happen.”

Iran has censored YouTube since mid-2009, after opposition demonstrators protesting the re-election victory of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in polls they believed rigged started posting videos online of their gatherings.

A Google website which monitors the amount of traffic for its services in each country shows YouTube has been effectively censored in Iran since then (http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/traffic/?r=IR&l=YOUTUBE&csd=1347730200000&ced=1348248600000).

A member of Iran’s High Council on Cyberspace, which provides policy advice, Kamyar Saghafi, was quoted by Mehr last week suggesting that the action against Google services was “to boycott” the US company over an anti-Islam film available on YouTube that has sparked Muslim protests worldwide.

Iran has an estimated 34 million Internet users, and the restrictions on Gmail and Google search were met with criticism from some quarters.

Hossein Entezami, the representative of newspaper directors on Iran’s press monitoring commission, said they “showed decision-makers have little knowledge of society’s needs today, because you can’t just close a search engine and a form of communication for the people,” Mehr last week reported.

Iran is developing its own, closed version of the Internet for use in the country which it says will be clear of any content deemed un-Islamic. Officials have said that, at least initially, the Iran intranet will exist alongside the filtered Internet and not replace it.

Latest news

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Must read

EU calls for emergency Iran talks

BBC: European Union officials have called for an emergency...

Iran’s hardliners roll back Khatami’s reforms, but how far?

AFP: Iran's dominant conservatives have been rolling back the...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you