Iran General NewsIran says Reuters can reopen Tehran bureau: ministry

Iran says Reuters can reopen Tehran bureau: ministry

-

AFP: Iran has given Reuters news agency permission to reopen its Tehran bureau after work there was suspended in March 2012 over one of its video reports, a culture ministry official said on Saturday.
TEHRAN (AFP) — Iran has given Reuters news agency permission to reopen its Tehran bureau after work there was suspended in March 2012 over one of its video reports, a culture ministry official said on Saturday.

“The court authorised Reuters to open its Tehran bureau,” deputy culture minister Mohammad Jafar Mohammadzadeh told the ISNA news agency, without specifying when the decision was made.

“Last week the ministry told Reuters it could restart its work in Iran,” he added.

In September 2012, a court found Reuters guilty of “propaganda against the regime”, and “publishing false information in an effort to disturb public opinion” in a report portraying female ninja students as assassins.

Tehran withdrew the press credentials of all staff at the bureau after the story was published in March 2012 and suspended the work of the news agency, part of the New York-based Thomson Reuters group.

The case stems from a Reuters video report on a group of female ninjas training in the martial art in the city of Karaj, west of Tehran. The original headline on the story erroneously read “Thousands of female Ninjas train as Iran’s assassins”.

Reuters subsequently changed the headline to read “Three thousand women Ninjas train in Iran”. It later removed the report.

Reuters global editor in chief, Stephen Adler, told The New York Times newspaper last March that the headline mistake was not malicious, and added: “I don’t see factual errors in the story.”

Domestic Iranian and foreign media outlets in the Islamic republic need permission from the culture and Islamic guidance ministry to operate.

The authorities routinely monitor and restrict the activities of the few journalists working for foreign media in Iran.

Latest news

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Spanish Daily El Debate: Inside Iran, an Organized Resistance Endures Against the Regime’s Wartime Crackdown

In an analytical report published by the Spanish daily El Debate, Firouz Mahvi, Political Director of the Brussels office...

Political Prisoner Denied Treatment in Greater Tehran Prison

The physical condition of Hamid Haj-Jafar Kashani, a political prisoner held in Tehran Great Prison, has reportedly become concerned...

Iran’s Regime Cuts Food Voucher Benefits Under ‘Overseas Resident’ Label

In its latest move against low-income segments of society, the Iranian regime has suspended food voucher benefits for a...

Must read

Iran’s Judiciary Issued 35 Death Sentences in One Month, Human Rights Activists Warn

Human rights activists in Iran state that in January,...

INTERVIEW – Merkel ally: Turkey, Brazil made big error on Iran

Reuters: Turkey and Brazil made a "big mistake" by...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you