Iran General NewsIranian court rejects bid to reopen Kazemi case

Iranian court rejects bid to reopen Kazemi case

-

The Globe and Mail: The family of slain Canadian-Iranian photojournalist Zahra Kazemi suffered a setback in a Tehran appeals court yesterday when the presiding judge rejected their lawyers’ move to reopen the case. Led by Nobel Peace Prize laureate and human-rights activist Shirin Ebadi, the lawyers for Ms. Kazemi’s family had argued that the 54-year-old Montreal resident was murdered while in custody and that details of her brutal death were covered up. The Globe and Mail

By TU THANH HA AND MICHAEL DEN TANDT

Page A6

MONTREAL AND OTTAWA – The family of slain Canadian-Iranian photojournalist Zahra Kazemi suffered a setback in a Tehran appeals court yesterday when the presiding judge rejected their lawyers’ move to reopen the case.

Led by Nobel Peace Prize laureate and human-rights activist Shirin Ebadi, the lawyers for Ms. Kazemi’s family had argued that the 54-year-old Montreal resident was murdered while in custody and that details of her brutal death were covered up.

But the appellate court, presided over by a magistrate only identified as “Judge Alizadeh,” rejected the allegation, the Islamic Republic News Agency reported yesterday.

Judge Alizadeh said a lower court had already ruled Ms. Kazemi’s death unintentional.

“This dismissal illustrates once again that the Iranian justice system has neither the capacity nor the will to confront the perpetrators of the brutal murder of Zahra Kazemi,” said Marie-Christine Lilkoff, a spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Canada.

“Iran has lost a concrete opportunity to show that it treats these problems with appropriate seriousness.” No foreign journalists or diplomats were allowed inside the courtroom despite earlier assurances from Iranian officials that the proceedings would be open to the public.

Talking to reporters after the hearing, which lasted nearly five hours, Ms. Ebadi raised the prospect of taking the case to an international court.

“If justice is not served in Iran, I will appeal to international courts and human-rights organizations,” she told Reuters.

With the appeals court’s rejection of the case, Ms. Ebadi has only two recourses left under the Iranian judicial system, Ali Reza Nourizadeh, an exiled Iranian journalist and dissident, said in an interview from Britain.

She could attempt to bring the case to the country’s supreme court or request the intervention of the head of the Iranian judiciary, Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Sharoudi, a conservative cleric.

Either way, it is unlikely she would be successful, he said.

“They have enough headaches, they aren’t going to let this case continue,” he predicted.

Ms. Kazemi died on July 10, 2003. She was arrested on June 23 as she was taking photos of protesters outside Evin prison in northern Tehran.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Lays Groundwork for Raising Gasoline Prices

As economic and financial pressure on the Iranian regime intensifies, Iranian regime president Masoud Pezeshkian has once again laid...

Iranian Regime Parliament Speaker: If People Are Hungry, We Will Not Survive

Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, the speaker of the Iranian regime’s Majlis (parliament), warned about the consequences of the economic crisis...

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Must read

Iran mobile operator Irancell ‘secures US technology’

BBC:Iran's second-largest mobile phone operator Irancell might have secured...

Merkel, Putin to meet amid tensions with Iran

Reuters: German Chancellor Angela Merkel heads to Moscow on...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you