Iran General NewsIran denies oil offer to US hurricane victims

Iran denies oil offer to US hurricane victims

-

AFP: Iran’s oil ministry on Wednesday fiercely denied reports it had offered oil to the United States as aid for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, asserting that US policies and sanctions made such a gesture impossible.
AFP

TEHRAN – Iran’s oil ministry on Wednesday fiercely denied reports it had offered oil to the United States as aid for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, asserting that US policies and sanctions made such a gesture impossible.

“Moves by the United States to establish economic sanctions and other pressure against the Islamic Republic of Iran are the main barriers to Iranian aid,” said Iran’s envoy to the oil cartel OPEC, Hossein Kazempour-Ardebili.

“If the US removes these sanctions, the barriers will be removed too. If US economic sanctions against Iran did not exist, and if there were no barrier for Iran’s crude oil to enter the US market, we could supply between 10 million and 20 million barrels of oil as aid,” he told the ministry’s Shana news service.

But such talk, he insisted, was purely theoretical — and not a concrete offer from Iran as had been reported by some media.

“It is not clear why foreign agencies have reported this news about Iran offering oil relief to the US, because any decision on such matters rests with the parliament,” he asserted.

Washington and Tehran cut off diplomatic ties in 1981 after Islamist students stormed the US embassy in the Iranian capital and held 52 staff hostages for 444 days.

A 1996 US law threatens sanctions on both American and foreign companies investing more than 40 million dollars in Iran’s energy sector. The United States has been pushing for additional sanctions to be slapped on Tehran amid accusations the country is seeking nuclear weapons.

But Washington extended a helping hand when a massive earthquake hit the southern Iranian town of Bam killing more than 31,000 people in 2003.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Miliband urges Iran to seize chance of better relations

AFP: Foreign Secretary David Miliband urged Iran on Saturday...

Iran dismisses Bush and Brown nuclear charges

Reuters: Iran said on Sunday U.S. and British accusations...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you