Iran General NewsMoD denies Iran military meeting

MoD denies Iran military meeting

-

BBC: Reports that military officers will meet government officials on Monday to discuss possible US-led military action against Iran have been denied. BBC

Reports that military officers will meet government officials on Monday to discuss possible US-led military action against Iran have been denied.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said there was no truth whatsoever in the claims, made in the Sunday Telegraph.

BBC Defence Correspondent Paul Wood said US plans for a possible strike are thought to be at an advanced stage.

But US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the US was “committed” to dealing with Iran diplomatically.

She told ITV1’s Jonathan Dimbleby programme: “We believe that diplomacy has a chance to work but we are going to work with whomever we can, in whatever form we can, diplomatically, to try and bring the Iranians around.

“Iran is not Iraq. I know that’s what’s on people’s minds. The circumstances are different.”

She added: “However, the president of the United States doesn’t take his options off the table.”

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, who was also interviewed on the programme, said: “We are working very hard to resolve this by diplomatic means.”

He conceded UN Security Council member Russia was “anxious” about Iran.

“They are worried about the possibility of the Iranians stirring up trouble for them, but they also share our high suspicions that Iran may be using its civil nuclear capability to develop a nuclear weapon and they do not want that,” he said.

‘No briefing’

The BBC’s Paul Wood pointed out that many defence analysts expected that British military officials would have a wide range of contingency plans available including one for a possible US air strike on Iran.

“There is no sense that such a strike is imminent, however there is well sourced and persistent speculation that American covert activities aimed at Iran are already underway,” he said.

The Sunday Telegraph reported that “a high-level meeting will take place on Monday in the Ministry of Defence at which senior defence chiefs and government officials will consider the consequences of an attack on Iran.”

The newspaper stated that senior military officials would attend the meeting, along with officials from the Foreign Office and Downing Street.

Deadline

In addition to denying that there would be any such meeting, the MoD said: “There will be no briefing of the prime minister and the Cabinet office in this regard, nor are there any plans for such a briefing.”

Last week the five permanent members of the UN Security Council gave Iran 30 days to suspend uranium enrichment or face isolation.

According to the newspaper report, “an American-led attack, designed to destroy Iran’s ability to develop a nuclear bomb, is ‘inevitable’ if Tehran’s leaders fail to comply with United Nations demands”.

Tehran insists its nuclear activities are peaceful and has rejected the council’s demand.

Latest news

What Is Happening in Iran?

Following the brutal killing of Masha Amini, the Iranian people have once again united to fight and defeat the...

Iran Regime’s Ministry of Culture’s Decision To Eliminate Children’s Intellectual Centers

With the so-called ‘Cultural Revolution’ which took place between 1980 and 1983, the Iranian regime tried to purge the...

Water Shortage Crisis and the Destruction of Iran’s Water Resources

Iran is currently suffering from a number of dangerous natural disasters. One of the most worrying is the drying...

Economic Freedom Under the Rule of the Mullahs in Iran

The Fraser institute published its annual report of the index of economic freedom on September 8, which measured the...

Iran’s Regime Continues Its Internet Restriction Project

This is part of the outlook of a document by the Iranian regime’s Supreme Council of Cyberspace, which has...

Iran’s Human Development Index Dropped Sharply

One of the most common questions asked in primary schools by teachers all over the world is, “wealth or...

Must read

Regime’s Negligence Makes Iran the Main Loser in Oil Competitions

Last Friday, the Iranian regime’s president Ebrahim Raisi claimed...

Iran intelligence agents arrest youths in western town

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jan. 04 – Agents of...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you