Iran General NewsIran cautions Canada against following case of murdered photographer

Iran cautions Canada against following case of murdered photographer

-

AFP: Canada’s newly-appointed ambassador to Iran will get into “trouble” if he pursues the case of murdered Iranian-Canadian photographer Zahra Kazemi, Iran’s foreign ministry warned Sunday. “If anyone enters Iran on this mission they get themselves into trouble. This is a domestic issue of the
Islamic Republic of Iran,” foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told reporters. AFP

TEHRAN – Canada’s newly-appointed ambassador to Iran will get into “trouble” if he pursues the case of murdered Iranian-Canadian photographer Zahra Kazemi, Iran’s foreign ministry warned Sunday.

“If anyone enters Iran on this mission they get themselves into trouble. This is a domestic issue of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told reporters.

Last week Canada named a new ambassador to Iran, to replace an envoy recalled during a diplomatic spat over Kazemi’s death and the subsequent failure of Iranian authorities to identify her killer.

In naming new ambassador Gordon Venner, Canadian Foreign Minister Pierre Pettigrew said it was crucial for Canada to have top level representation in Tehran and he warned that Canadians believed that Iran’s handling of the Kazemi case was “offensive”.

“Canada remains deeply committed to this case … Justice denied is offensive to Canadians. This case will be pursued energetically,” Pettigrew said on Tuesday.

Kazemi, 56, died in hospital here in July 2003 after sustaining a blow in custody.

Between her arrest and her admission to hospital, Kazemi was interrogated by judicial prosecutors, the police and the intelligence ministry, rival power centres in Iran, which have since blamed each other for the death.

Intelligence ministry agent Mohammad Reza Aghdam Ahmadi, 42, was cleared of “quasi-intentional murder” in July 2004, and the judiciary said later Kazemi’s death seemed to have been accidental as “the only suspect” had been found not guilty.

But despite his warning to Canada, Asefi said the case was still being pursued.
“It is nevertheless being followed up by the government and the judiciary, and I hope the rights of nobody, including those of the Kazemi family, are ignored,” he told reporters.

The case had badly damaged relations between Iran and Canada. Iran does not recognise dual nationality, and insists Canada has no say in the matter.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Hundreds rally in support of Iranian opposition

AP: Hundreds of people rallied outside the White House...

White House says Iran under pressure from sanctions

AFP: The White House said Thursday that President Mahmoud...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you