Iran General NewsEU condemns Iran Holocaust conference

EU condemns Iran Holocaust conference

-

Iran Focus: London, Dec. 13 – European officials voiced stern condemnation of a conference held in Tehran by the Iranian Foreign Ministry debating the existence of the Holocaust. Iran Focus

London, Dec. 13 – European officials voiced stern condemnation of a conference held in Tehran by the Iranian Foreign Ministry debating the existence of the Holocaust.

“The Presidency of the European Union is deeply concerned about the Conference on the Holocaust, which was held in Tehran on 11-12 December 2006”, a statement by the European Union’s Presidency said on Tuesday. Finland currently holds the EU’s rotating Presidency.

“The Presidency regards the holding of the conference as detrimental to efforts aimed at furthering the dialogue among civilisations, cultures and religions”, it said.

The EU Presidency condemned “in the strongest of terms” any politically or racially motivated attempts and the use of pseudo-scholarship to deny or question the Holocaust and said that it was disturbed by the “continuous efforts of the Iranian government to question or trivialise the undeniable historical facts of the Holocaust and its horrors”.

European Commission Vice-President Franco Frattini also had harsh words for Tehran over its decision to hold the conference.

“I want to express publicly my shock and indignation in relation to the Conference on the Holocaust being held these days in Teheran and that puts the Holocaust into question”, Frattini said in a statement.

“In the face of this event, I want to state my firm condemnation of any attempt to deny, trivialise or minimise the Shoah, war crimes and crimes against humanity. I clearly reject these views which, in utter disregard of historically established facts, constitute an unacceptable affront not only to the victims of that tragedy and their descendants, but also to the whole democratic world”, he said.

Separately, the Vatican issued a statement describing the Holocaust as an “appalling tragedy”.

The statement appeared to be timed to counter the conference in Tehran.

“The Shoah was an appalling tragedy which one cannot remain indifferent to”, the Holy See said.

Ahmadinejad caused an international furore last year when he publicly declared that the Holocaust was a “myth” and said that Israel must be “wiped off the map”.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran ex-nuclear negotiator ‘gave secrets to embassy’

AFP: A former Iranian nuclear negotiator detained last month...

Defiant Ahmadinejad sworn in as Iran president

AFP: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was sworn in for...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you