Iran General NewsRice criticises French plans for Iran overture

Rice criticises French plans for Iran overture

-

AFP: US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Wednesday implicitly criticised French plans to send an envoy to Iran to discuss the situation in Lebanon and the Middle East. BERLIN, Jan 18, 2007 (AFP) – US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Wednesday implicitly criticised French plans to send an envoy to Iran to discuss the situation in Lebanon and the Middle East.

“I think we all need to stay focused on the fact that Iran is in violation of a Security Council resolution until it suspends its enrichment and reprocessing activities,” Rice said, while adding that each country took its own decisions.

Rice, currently visiting Germany, also noted that Iran had not completely fulfilled its obligations to the International Atomic Energy Agency.

The French foreign ministry on Tuesday confirmed it was discussing plans to send a special envoy to Iran to discuss “regional issues” including Lebanon and Israel’s right to exist.

Iran is seen as the major supporter of the Lebanese Shiite militia Hezbollah.

The French daily Le Monde has reported that plans to send Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy had been shelved after opposition by the United States and several Middle Eastern countries.

“I think that at this point in time, given what we’ve just done in the Security Council to pass the Chapter 7 resolution that makes it very clear that Iran will endure isolation if it cannot bring itself to respond positively to the international demands, that this is not the time to break a longstanding American policy of not engaging with the Iranians bilaterally,” Rice said at a new conference with her German counterpart Frank-Walter Steinmeier.

In meetings in Tuesday and Wednesday, Kuwait’s emir urged Rice to open dialogue with Syria and Iran in order to safeguard the Gulf’s security, the emirate’s foreign minister said.

Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah “insisted on the need for (US) dialogue with states neighbouring Iraq,” Sheikh Mohammad al-Sabah told reporters when asked about talks between the emir and Rice.

The emir told Rice “there should be no US breakoff with these states and there should be a dialogue essentially with Syria, and with Iran, to safeguard Gulf security,” the minister was quoted as saying by the KUNA news agency.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Retired Iranian Teachers Protest for Better Pay

By Pooya Stone Hundreds of retired Iranian teachers gathered...

U.A.E. studies impact of Iran sanctions

Wall Street Journal: The United Arab Emirates central bank...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you