Iran Nuclear NewsTalks on Iran's nuclear program resume

Talks on Iran’s nuclear program resume

-

AP: Iran and the major powers seeking to halt its nuclear program resumed discussions almost immediately after Iran announced that it was releasing a British navy crew, an EU official said Thursday. Associated Press

By RAF CASERT

Associated Press Writer

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) – Iran and the major powers seeking to halt its nuclear program resumed discussions almost immediately after Iran announced that it was releasing a British navy crew, an EU official said Thursday.

Talks on the nuclear issue were put on hold during the standoff over the seized sailors and marines. But hours after Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced the crew’s release, top Iranian negotiator Ali Larijani spoke by telephone with EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana, who negotiates on behalf of permanent U.N. Security Council members the United States, France, Britain, Russia and China, plus Germany, an EU official said.

“We hope we can get back to the negotiating table,” the official said on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, adding that the crew’s release, “can only improve the context in which the nuclear file can be discussed.”

Solana and Larijani talked about both the seized crew members and the possibilities of progress on the international nuclear standoff, the official said.

The United Nations last month toughened sanctions on Iran over its failure to comply with the demand that it freeze enrichment of uranium, which can be used to make nuclear weapons as well as generate energy. Tehran has steadfastly denied it wants to produce weapons.

The 27 EU nations had planned to discuss Iran’s nuclear program during a special meeting over the weekend but were sidetracked by the seizure of the British crew.

The world powers insist that Tehran must freeze its enrichment work before any talks can begin on a package of economic and other incentives, including assistance for its nuclear power generation program.

Iran has announced a partial suspension of cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency, the U.N. nuclear watchdog, by revoking a pledge to inform it of any plans to build new nuclear facilities.

Latest news

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Must read

Iran: Those arrested in fire festivities will spend New Year in jail

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Feb. 20 – The government...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you