Iran Nuclear NewsIran blames US for lack of nuke response

Iran blames US for lack of nuke response

-

AP: A senior Iranian official blamed the U.S. Sunday for Tehran’s refusal to respond to accusations it tried to make nuclear weapons, claiming information provided by Washington was not only fake but came too late for a proper review. The Associated Press

By GEORGE JAHN

VIENNA, Austria (AP) — A senior Iranian official blamed the U.S. Sunday for Tehran’s refusal to respond to accusations it tried to make nuclear weapons, claiming information provided by Washington was not only fake but came too late for a proper review.

The U.S. dismissed the complaint, saying Iran could have answered concerns about its nuclear program years ago.

Ali Ashgar Soltanieh, Iran’s chief delegate to the International Atomic Energy Agency, also acknowledged that his country’s uranium enrichment program was experiencing “ups and downs.” It appeared to be the first Iran admitted its enrichment activities were running into some difficulties.

The U.N. has imposed three sets of sanctions on Iran for its refusal to suspend enrichment, a process that can generate nuclear fuel and the fissile core of warheads. Iran says it is pursuing the technology only to produce nuclear power.

The International Atomic Energy Agency, the U.N. nuclear monitor, released a report last week saying that suspicions about most past Iranian nuclear activities had eased or been laid to rest.

But the report also noted that Iran had rejected documents that link it to missile and explosives experiments and other work connected to a possible nuclear weapons program, calling the information false and irrelevant.

The report called weaponization “the one major … unsolved issue relevant to the nature of Iran’s nuclear program.”

Most of the material shown to Iran by the IAEA on alleged attempts to make nuclear arms came from Washington, though some was provided by U.S. allies, diplomats told The Associated Press. The agency shared it with Tehran only after the nations gave their permission.

But Soltanieh dismissed much of the material as false. In any case, he said, it came too late — three years after U.S. intelligence claimed it had material on a laptop computer smuggled out of Iran indicating that Tehran had been working on details of nuclear weapons, including missile trajectories and ideal altitudes for exploding warheads.

“They should have given it to us three years ago,” Soltanieh said of the U.S. material, suggesting Tehran would then have had a more substantive response.

Instead, he said, Iran did not get an offer for a review until mid-February. By that time, he said, the deadline for the conclusion of the IAEA investigation into Iran’s nuclear past had passed and experts were already working on the agency’s report.

“All of a sudden, the Americans notice this thing is going to be closed,” he told the AP, alluding to the investigation. “So … suddenly … they have additional and new documents — these dirty games should be stopped immediately.”

The United States denied being at fault.

“Iran did not need to wait for information to answer” the accusations coming from many sides that it was trying to make nuclear arms, said Gregory L. Schulte, the top U.S. delegate to the IAEA.

“Iranian authorities could have started explaining these activities years ago, if only they had made the decision to come fully clean about their program,” he told AP.

Soltanieh acknowledged that Iranian experts also were offered some U.S. documents earlier than mid-February. But, he said, “we weren’t allowed to take them out of the room,” dooming any serious attempt to examine them.

“Some of the drawings were lousy and without any technical justification,” he said, dismissing the material as “fabricated and (a) forgery.”

On Saturday, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called on the U.S. and its allies to “apologize” for accusing Iran of seeking nuclear weapons. He asserted that the IAEA report vindicated his country and warned that Iran would take unspecified “decisive reciprocal measures” against any country that imposed additional sanctions against his nation.

The IAEA report also confirmed that Iran was defying U.N. Security Council demands that it suspend uranium enrichment.

But it suggested possible technical problems, noting Iran had not expanded its main enrichment project for months, keeping its number of centrifuges, which turn out enriched uranium, at 3,000. Former U.N. nuclear inspector David Albright, in his own report mailed to the AP, said the small amounts of enriched uranium produced over the past year “indicate that the centrifuges continue to operate below capacity.”

Ahmadinejad and other Iranian leaders have depicted Tehran’s enrichment program as a triumph had dismissed suggestions of technical glitches coming from U.S. intelligence, IAEA officials and independent experts.

Soltanieh also asserted that Iran was “a master of enrichment technology.” Still, he acknowledged that “during the process of development, there will be ups and downs and trials and errors.”

“The important thing is ultimate success,” he said.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Obama urges Iran to seize opportunity of nuclear talks

AFP: US President Barack Obama in an annual video message...

Amnesty International Report Warns About Deteriorating Women’s Rights in Iran

On the eve of International Women's Day, Amnesty International...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you