Iran Nuclear NewsFather of Iran’s drive for nuclear warhead named

Father of Iran’s drive for nuclear warhead named

-

Sunday Times: A senior officer in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard has emerged as the father of a nuclear programme that western intelligence services believe is aimed at producing a warhead capable of devastating any city in the Middle East.
The Sunday Times

Michael Smith

A senior officer in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard has emerged as the father of a nuclear programme that western intelligence services believe is aimed at producing a warhead capable of devastating any city in the Middle East.

Ostensibly a lecturer in physics at Tehran’s Imam Hussein University, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh-Mahabadi is seen as the Iranian equivalent of A Q Khan, the scientist who led Pakistan’s nuclear weapons race with India.

The National Council of Resistance of Iran, a coalition of groups opposed to the regime in Tehran, was the first to identify Fakhrizadeh, 47, as one of the leading figures in Iran’s nuclear programme. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has also named him as the man it would most like to interview about the programme, adding that despite repeated requests the Iranian government has refused access.

Intelligence shown to IAEA representatives last month included documents from an Iranian laptop computer. It named Fakhrizadeh as the man in charge. A personnel list had Fakhrizadeh at the top of the organisation running the programme, while other documents showed him setting budgets for research and laying down rules on how much of their work the project’s scientists could discuss with colleagues.

It backs up suggestions that Fakhrizadeh is the head of “Project 111”, an Iranian attempt to produce a nuclear warhead capable of exploding at 2,000ft and causing devastation over a wide area.

The material on the laptop obtained by US intelligence suggested a warhead would be designed to fit Iran’s Shahab-3 missile. Israel is seen as the most likely target.

European officials were surprised when the US National Intelligence Estimate said last December that Iran had stopped working on a design for nuclear weapons in 2003. Although there is some evidence of a pause after the invasion of Iraq, other analysts believe the programme has resumed.

Simon Smith, Britain’s permanent envoy to the IAEA, said, “Certainly some of the dates that the secretariat was presenting in there went beyond 2003.”

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Judiciary admits human rights violations in Iran

DPA: Iran’s conservative judiciary has for the first time...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you