Iran Nuclear NewsIran urges Azeris to release atomic plant parts

Iran urges Azeris to release atomic plant parts

-

ImageReuters: Iran has urged Azerbaijan to release a cargo of parts from Russia for the Islamic Republic's first nuclear power plant, the Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.

ImageTEHRAN (Reuters) – Iran has urged Azerbaijan to release a cargo of parts from Russia for the Islamic Republic's first nuclear power plant, the Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.

Russia says Azeri officials at the border with Iran last month halted the heat insulators for the Bushehr nuclear plant, being built by a Russian contractor in southwest Iran.

"We call on the government of the Republic of Azerbaijan to carry out the necessary measures for the delivery of the consignment to the Islamic Republic of Iran," Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini told a news conference.

Iran has asked Azerbaijan's ambassador in Tehran "to do his utmost so as to deliver the consignment", he said.

"The consignment is within the framework of Iran-Russia cooperation with respect to the completion of Bushehr power plant. There is no ban regarding the consignment."

Azeri customs officials say the cargo needs a special permit which was not supplied.

The United States and Russia say the plant means Tehran does not need to enrich uranium itself. Western nations fear Iran is seeking to master enrichment technology to make nuclear bombs.

Russia has already delivered nuclear fuel under a $1 billion contract to build the Bushehr plant and Iranian officials say the reactor is likely to be started up in 2008.

Iran's ambassador to Azerbaijan, Nasser Hamidi Zare, said Azeri officials had halted the cargo because of "technical problems", the official newspaper, called Iran, reported.

Russia has asked Iran to help resolve the row over paperwork with Azerbaijan or the row would cause delays in commissioning the plant. Work on it was started in the 1970s before the Russian contractor took over the project in the 1990s.

Iranian officials say it is their right to have a domestic enrichment program and insist that their plans are peaceful.

In a separate incident, two Iranians were shot dead by Azeri border forces on the boundary this month. Azeri media, monitored by the BBC, said the two were trying to cross illegally.

Asked about the incident, Hosseini said: "The treatment we saw from the Azeri forces in connection with the two Iranian youngsters is unacceptable and we condemn it. And of course Iranian border forces will follow up on this issue with sensitivity."

(Reporting by Hossein Jaseb, writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Robert Woodward)

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iranian leader calls Chavez a ‘trench mate’

AP: The presidents of Iran and Venezuela, leading U.S....

New round of US-Iran security talks unlikely: Iraqi FM

AFP: A fourth round of talks between the United...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you