Iran Nuclear NewsRice hopes Iran will change course in Geneva talks

Rice hopes Iran will change course in Geneva talks

-

ImageReuters: Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on Friday the United States would not soften its refusal to negotiate directly with Iran until Tehran gave up its nuclear program.

ImageWASHINGTON (Reuters) – Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on Friday the United States would not soften its refusal to negotiate directly with Iran until Tehran gave up its nuclear program.

In a change of policy, a senior State Department official, William Burns will attend nuclear talks in Geneva along with other major powers to hear Iran's response to an incentives package offered last month. Previously, the United States did not participate in such meetings with Iran.

Burns also indicated to Congress last week the United States is looking into opening an interest section in Tehran, a diplomatic presence that falls short of an embassy but would put U.S. diplomats on Iranian soil for the first time since ties were cut off more than a quarter century ago.

Rice said Burns would deliver a clear message: Washington would only enter full-blown negotiations with if Iran stopped trying to develop an atomic weapon. Tehran says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes.

"That remains the U.S. position and it will continue to be the U.S. position," Rice said at a news conference.

While Iran was a "difficult and dangerous state," Rice said she believed any country could change course.

In 2002, U.S. President George W. Bush branded Iran as part of an "axis of evil" but Rice said, "The United States does not have any permanent enemies."

"The signal that we are sending, that we fully support the track that Iran could take for a better relationship with the international community, is one that the United States stands fully behind." she said.

Oil markets have been roiled in recent months by talk of possible U.S. or Israeli military action against Iran because of its nuclear program.

Asked whether the decision to send Burns was inspired by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's call for Washington to speak directly with Iran, Rice avoided answering the question directly.

(Reporting by Sue Pleming, editing by Alan Elsner)

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Britain warns Iran of new UN resolution

AFP: British Prime Minister Gordon Brown reiterated Tuesday that...

Oman’s Qaboos on Tehran visit, U.S.-Iran mediation in focus

Reuters: Oman's Sultan Qaboos on Sunday began the first...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you