Iran Nuclear NewsDespite calls to halt, Iran says it will continue...

Despite calls to halt, Iran says it will continue its nuclear program

-

ImageNew York Times: Speaking just days before a deadline set by world powers for Iran to reply to proposals to curb its nuclear ambitions, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the country’s supreme leader, said Wednesday that Iran would “continue with its path” of nuclear development, which includes the enrichment of uranium.

The New York Times

By GRAHAM BOWLEY
Published: July 31, 2008

ImageSpeaking just days before a deadline set by world powers for Iran to reply to proposals to curb its nuclear ambitions, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the country’s supreme leader, said Wednesday that Iran would “continue with its path” of nuclear development, which includes the enrichment of uranium.

Ayatollah Khamenei’s comments suggested that Iran might be preparing to take a hard line on the demands by six nations — the United States, Russia, China, France, Britain and Germany — that it stop enriching uranium by this weekend. His comments were cited by state radio, according to news agency reports from Tehran.

Representatives of the six nations met with Iranian officials in Geneva on July 19, with a senior American official taking part for the first time. The talks seemed to produce no progress on the chief demand — that Iran stop uranium enrichment.

Iran contends that its nuclear program is for peaceful, civilian purposes, but the six powers suspect that the country may be pursuing nuclear weapons.

The six nations “know that the Iranian nation is after using nuclear energy to provide electricity, but they say, ‘Because this work gives you capability, we will not allow it,’ ” Ayatollah Khamenei was quoted as saying by state radio, according to Reuters.

“The Iranian nation, by depending on its useful experience and advantages of 30 years of resistance, does not pay any attention to such talk and will continue with its path,” he said.

At the meeting in Geneva, Iranian diplomats reiterated that the issue of uranium enrichment was nonnegotiable. But the six powers gave Iran two weeks to respond to their latest proposal before it would be withdrawn.

The world powers want Iran to accept a formula known as freeze-for-freeze. Under this plan, Iran would not expand its nuclear program, and the United States and other powers would not seek new international sanctions for six weeks to pave the way for formal negotiations.

The proposal, first offered last year, is intended to give Iran economic and political incentives to stop enriching uranium.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said last week that America would seek more sanctions if the latest deadline was ignored.

Ayatollah Khamenei was also quoted by state television as saying in a sermon that taking a step back against what he called arrogant world powers would “lead them to take one step forward.”

“The idea that any retreat or backing down from righteous positions would change the policies of arrogant world powers is completely wrong and baseless,” he said.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Notable Germans urge protection for Iranian exiles

AP: Several prominent Germans urged the U.S. and Europe...

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard begins 3-day military exercises in south

AP: Iran’s Revolutionary Guard has begun a three-day ground...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you