Iran Nuclear NewsOfficials: Iran offers 'non-answer' to incentives

Officials: Iran offers ‘non-answer’ to incentives

-

ImageCNN: Iran's response to the international community's offer of incentives in return for cutbacks in its nuclear program is not acceptable, two senior U.S. officials told CNN Tuesday.

From Elise Labott
CNN

ImageWASHINGTON (CNN) — Iran's response to the international community's offer of incentives in return for cutbacks in its nuclear program is not acceptable, two senior U.S. officials told CNN Tuesday.

"It's another non-answer," a senior U.S. official said of a statement issued by Iran Tuesday in response to the offer. "It doesn't say anything. They are still pretending they are responding."

Top Iranian negotiator Saeed Jalili sent the one-page document on Tuesday to European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana in response to the council's proposed incentives, officials said.

The council had offered to suspend sanctions against Tehran in exchange for a suspension of its uranium enrichment activity, which the international community fears could contribute to the production of a nuclear weapon.

The document says the Iranians are "ready to provide a clear response" to the offer as soon as the world powers that tendered it "provide a clear response" to questions posed by Iran in a paper it submitted last month at talks in Geneva.

"It doesn't seem to be what we are looking for," one senior U.S. official said, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the diplomacy involved.

The five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council — China, France, Great Britain, Russia and the United States — plus Germany dismissed Iran's "non-paper," or off-the-record statement, as unclear.

The Security Council said Iran's statement on Tuesday came in after a weekend deadline that was originally set, but Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki insisted last week that no such deadline existed.

The political directors of the "P5 plus one countries" will hold a conference call on Wednesday to discuss next steps.

The U.S. State Department said this week more sanctions against Iran would be considered in the absence of a positive response.

Tehran contends it is developing nuclear energy for peaceful domestic purposes.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Top Iran cleric backs president’s Holocaust remark

Reuters: A senior Iranian cleric on Friday backed President...

US calls for release of Iranian rights activist

AFP: The United States called Wednesday for the immediate...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you