Iran Nuclear NewsIran's IAEA envoy says it will continue uranium enrichment

Iran’s IAEA envoy says it will continue uranium enrichment

-

ImageAFP: Iran's ambassador to the UN atomic watchdog said on Monday that his country will continue enriching uranium in defiance of UN Security Council demands, the ISNA news agency reported.

ImageTEHRAN (AFP) — Iran's ambassador to the UN atomic watchdog said on Monday that his country will continue enriching uranium in defiance of UN Security Council demands, the ISNA news agency reported.

"Stating that Iran did not obey the United Nations Security Council resolution asking it to halt uranium enrichment shows this reality — that Iran found no logical and legal reasons for doing so," Ali Asghar Soltanieh said.

"Therefore it cannot give up its undeniable right under the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) charter," ISNA quoted him as saying.

The IAEA on Monday accused Tehran of continuing to stall over a UN probe into its disputed nuclear programme, refusing to provide access to documentation, individuals or sites which could reveal the true nature of its activities.

Tehran's arch-foe the United States, which is spearheading moves against Iran's nuclear drive, warned that the Islamic republic could now face possible new sanctions in the wake of the IAEA's findings.

Responding to Washington's comments, Soltanieh said that Tehran has "created no obstacle for the IAEA's inspections."

"The report shows this reality that the IAEA is still able to keep on inspecting Iran's peaceful nuclear activities.

"And this reality is positive and important and proves the opposite of the US claims that Iran has made obstacles in inspections," he said.

Soltanieh said that Tehran had already given a 117-page report about its alleged investigations into developing a nuclear warhead, convert uranium and test high explosives and a missile re-entry vehicle.

"Iran considers the (alleged) documents to be fabricated and baseless, and in our 117-page response to the IAEA we have provided much evidence that the claims have been fabricated," Soltanieh added.

The West fears that Iran is developing atomic bomb under the guise of a civilian programme, a charge which Tehran vehemently denies.

Iran has so far been slapped with three sets of Security Council sanctions for its refusal to halt uranium enrichment.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iranian election a sham

The Hill: Suppose they held an election and nobody...

US gets serious on Iran sanctions

BBC: For banks, oil companies and other big businesses...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you