Iran Nuclear NewsIran says no slowdown in its nuclear work

Iran says no slowdown in its nuclear work

-

ImageReuters: Iran denied it had slowed down its nuclear activities and said it planned to install 50,000 centrifuges to enrich uranium over the next five years, a senior Iranian nuclear official said on Wednesday.

ImageBUSHEHR, Iran (Reuters) – Iran denied it had slowed down its nuclear activities and said it planned to install 50,000 centrifuges to enrich uranium over the next five years, a senior Iranian nuclear official said on Wednesday.

The U.N. nuclear agency watchdog said last week that Iran had slowed the expansion of its uranium enrichment plant at Natanz but had built up a stockpile of nuclear fuel.

The West accuses Iran of covertly seeking to build nuclear weapons, a charge Tehran denies, insisting its activities are aimed at generating electricity to meet soaring demand in the world's fourth largest oil producer.

"Our plan to install and run centrifuges is not based on political conditions. We have a plan and we will go ahead with it," the head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization, Gholamreza Aghazadeh, told a news conference.

U.S. President Barack Obama has said the United States is prepared to talk to Tehran, in a break from his predecessor's approach, but his administration has also warned of tougher sanctions if Iran refuses to halt its nuclear work.

"America should face reality and accept living with a nuclear Iran. This acceptance will allow America better access to Iran's (nuclear) market," Aghazadeh said, adding that a fresh nuclear achievement would be announced on April 9.

He did not give details.

Aghazadeh was speaking in Bushehr, in southwest Iran, where Iran is building its first nuclear power plant. Iran said on Wednesday it had carried out successful tests at the Russian- built plant, taking it a step closer to its launch.

"Currently we have 6,000 running centrifuges in Natanz and we will increase our activities to install more by the end of next (Iranian) year (to March 2010)," Aghazadeh said.

He did not say how many centrifuges would be in place by March 2010, but added that Iran planned to install 50,000 centrifuges in the next five years.

"We have not changed our scheduled in Natanz. We have neither slowed down or accelerated our activities there," he said.

(Reporting by Parisa Hafezi and Hossein Jaseb, writing by Edmund Blair)

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

2 found dead in volatile Iran city’s river

Iran Focus: Tehran, Jun. 02 - Two men were...

US tells banks to shut down Iran operations

The Independent on Sunday: Several of the UK's largest...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you