Iran Nuclear NewsIran sets defiant tone at start of talks over...

Iran sets defiant tone at start of talks over nuclear programme

-

ImageThe Times: Iran struck a defiant note as it entered a new round of nuclear talks yesterday, insisting that it would not hesitate to produce highly enriched nuclear fuel if it did not get what it wanted out of negotiations. The Times

Catherine Philp, Diplomatic Correspondent

ImageIran struck a defiant note as it entered a new round of nuclear talks yesterday, insisting that it would not hesitate to produce highly enriched nuclear fuel if it did not get what it wanted out of negotiations.

The hardline statement came as Iranian representatives met Western and Russian officials in Vienna for talks that were overshadowed by a suicide attack that Tehran blamed on American and British Intelligence.

Representatives from France, the US, Russia and the UN met Iran to build on a proposal that was agreed in principle in Geneva this month to provide Tehran with nuclear fuel for its reactor that produces medical isotopes.

Iran had sought to buy 20 per cent enriched uranium — more enriched than that used to fuel nuclear power but lower than that needed for a weapon — from the West.

Russia and France offered instead to take Iran’s stocks of low-enriched uranium out of the country for conversion to a higher grade, a compromise that would prevent its from being diverted to a suspected weapons programme and delay the moment when Iran has sufficient fuel for a weapon.

Yesterday, however, the Iranian nuclear spokesman said that “if the talks do not bring about Iran’s desired result … we will start to make the higher enriched uranium ourselves”.

The Iranian state-run Press TV cited unnamed officials in Tehran as saying that the Islamic republic wanted to keep its low-enriched uranium and buy what it needed abroad. Such a stance would doom the talks.

However, the refusal by Tehran to give up most of its stock would abort chances of negotiations between Iran and six world powers, which are due to resume in Geneva this month, and could jeopardise a visit by UN inspectors to the plant at Qom.

The head of the UN nuclear watchdog insisted that talks were off to a good start. Mohamed ElBaradei told reporters that most of the technical issues had been covered. The talks are due to resume today.

Hanging over the talks is the suicide attack on the Revolutionary Guard on Sunday, which was claimed by the Sunni rebel group Jundallah. Iran reiterated its assertions that Britain and America were to blame. “Behind this scene are the American and British intelligence apparatus and there will have to be retaliatory measures to punish them,” Mohammed Ali Jafari, the commander-in-chief of the Revolutionary Guards, said.

He said that Iran would show its Pakistani counterparts evidence that the attack was launched from Pakistan with American and British help. The US and Britain deny involvement.

Latest news

Massive Washington Rally Highlights Growing Pressure on Iran’s Regime

Thousands of Iranian Americans, political activists, and former U.S. officials gathered in Washington, D.C. on May 16 for one...

French Magazine Exposes ‘Shah-Making Factory’: Fascist Networks and Lobbies Grooming the Shah’s Son as an Alternative to the Iranian Regime

The renowned French magazine Nouvel Observateur has published a comprehensive investigation by Marie Vaton exposing the hidden mechanisms of...

Iraqi Militia Commander Arrested Over Alleged Plotting of Terrorist Attacks in the U.S. and Europe

An Iraqi militia commander has been arrested on charges of involvement in planning more than 12 “terrorist” attacks in...

Concerns in U.S. Congress Over Cryptocurrency Transfers to Networks Linked to Iran’s Regime

Two members of the U.S. Congress, Sean Casten and Gregory Meeks, in an official letter to the U.S. government,...

IRGC Increases Terrorist Activities in Gulf Arab Countries

At a time when Iran’s regime is pursuing a policy of regional militarism, a broad wave of alleged IRGC-linked...

77 Days of Internet Shutdown, A Tool of Control and a Sign of Tehran’s Real Fears

The crisis of internet shutdowns in Iran has entered a new phase. 77 days of internet cuts, widespread disruptions,...

Must read

Tehran Stock Exchange Experiencing Its Biggest Decline In 56 Years

In the first two hours of trading on May...

Low profile no more, new House foreign affairs chair eyes Iran

Reuters: After 20 years working on international relations in...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you