Iran Nuclear NewsNew sanctions could mean confrontation: Iran

New sanctions could mean confrontation: Iran

-

AFP: Fresh international sanctions against Iran over its nuclear programme could lead to confrontation, foreign minister Manouchehr Mottaki warned during a visit to Brussels on Wednesday.

BRUSSELS (AFP) — Fresh international sanctions against Iran over its nuclear programme could lead to confrontation, foreign minister Manouchehr Mottaki warned during a visit to Brussels on Wednesday.

“There are two options,” to resolve the problem, he told an audience at the European Policy Centre think-tank.

“The first is based on cooperation, the other is based on confrontation,” he said on the second and last day of his visit to the Belgian capital.

“The resolution” at the United Nations Security Council on imposing new sanctions against Iran “is a basis for confrontation,” he warned.

“That is not our preferred option but that’s up to other parties who would like to move in that direction,” Mottaki added.

Last month the United States introduced a draft resolution at the UN to impose tough new sanctions on Iran.

The draft resolution would expand an arms embargo and measures against Iran’s banking sector and ban it from sensitive overseas activities like uranium mining and developing ballistic missiles, a US official said.

Western powers fear that Iran’s atomic programme is a cover for a nuclear weapons drive.

Tehran denies this, saying the programme is aimed at peaceful energy use, which it insists it has the right to pursue.

Iran is already subject to three sets of UN sanctions for its refusal to suspend uranium enrichment, one of the crucial steps towards the production of nuclear energy for civil or military use.

Mottaki stressed that Iran had no intention of giving up its plans of enriching uranium to 20 percent.

Enrichment lies at the centre of international fears about Iran’s nuclear programme as the process can make the core of an atom bomb in highly purified forms of over 90 percent.

“It’s not against the law,” said Mottaki, warning that a new UN resolution would “kill” a recent initiative with Brazil and Turkey

The two countries brokered a deal with Tehran last month under which Iran has committed to deposit 1,200 kilograms (2,640 pounds) of low-enriched uranium in Turkey in return for reactor fuel.

But the deal drew a cool reaction from world powers led by the United States, which is pushing for the new sanctions to be agreed.

Western governments say the deal fails to address concerns about Iran’s nuclear programme.

However, Mottaki made it clear that without that deal “definitely we’ll continue our production of 20 percent.”

On the other hand “if we do not need the 20 percent we won’t move into that direction.”

Latest news

Massive Washington Rally Highlights Growing Pressure on Iran’s Regime

Thousands of Iranian Americans, political activists, and former U.S. officials gathered in Washington, D.C. on May 16 for one...

French Magazine Exposes ‘Shah-Making Factory’: Fascist Networks and Lobbies Grooming the Shah’s Son as an Alternative to the Iranian Regime

The renowned French magazine Nouvel Observateur has published a comprehensive investigation by Marie Vaton exposing the hidden mechanisms of...

Iraqi Militia Commander Arrested Over Alleged Plotting of Terrorist Attacks in the U.S. and Europe

An Iraqi militia commander has been arrested on charges of involvement in planning more than 12 “terrorist” attacks in...

Concerns in U.S. Congress Over Cryptocurrency Transfers to Networks Linked to Iran’s Regime

Two members of the U.S. Congress, Sean Casten and Gregory Meeks, in an official letter to the U.S. government,...

IRGC Increases Terrorist Activities in Gulf Arab Countries

At a time when Iran’s regime is pursuing a policy of regional militarism, a broad wave of alleged IRGC-linked...

77 Days of Internet Shutdown, A Tool of Control and a Sign of Tehran’s Real Fears

The crisis of internet shutdowns in Iran has entered a new phase. 77 days of internet cuts, widespread disruptions,...

Must read

U.S. softens sanction plan against Iran

Wall Street Journal: The U.S. has backed away from...

Japan’s Mitsui maintains oil tanker was likely attacked

AFP: A Japanese shipping company maintained Thursday that its...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you