Iran Nuclear NewsIran set to resume 'noticeable part' of uranium conversion...

Iran set to resume ‘noticeable part’ of uranium conversion activities

-

AFP: Iran has decided to restart a part of its nuclear programme that had been suspended as part of a deal with
the European Union and a “noticeable part” of uranium conversion activities will soon resume, a senior official said Thursday. “Based on the reviews and decisions which were made, we are going to restart a small part of the suspended activities,” Gholam Reza Aghazadeh, a vice president and
head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organisation, told state television. AFP

TEHRAN – Iran has decided to restart a part of its nuclear programme that had been suspended as part of a deal with the European Union and a “noticeable part” of uranium conversion activities will soon resume, a senior official said Thursday.

“Based on the reviews and decisions which were made, we are going to restart a small part of the suspended activities,” Gholam Reza Aghazadeh, a vice president and head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organisation, told state television.

He said “probably a noticeable part of UCF”, or work at a uranium conversion facility near the central city of Isfahan, would be resumed.

Aghazadeh added that the “exact date of the restart will be given to me momentarily”. Late on Wednesday Aghazadeh also said that when the decision was made, activities would resume the next day.

The Isfahan facility is used to convert mined uranium “yellowcake” into uranium tetrafluoride (UF4) and then into uranium hexafluoride (UF6), a feed gas for centrifuges that carry out the highly sensitive enrichment process.

Enriched uranium can be used for peaceful power generation but also as the explosive core of a nuclear bomb. Iran asserts it only wants to generate electricity.

A resumption of conversion work, which is a part of the wider process of enrichment, would violate a November 2004 deal with Britain, France and Germany aimed at easing international fears the clerical regime is seeking the bomb.

The agreement kicked off talks in which the EU are offering a package of incentives in return for “objective guarantees” that Tehran will not develop weapons, and had spared Iran the danger of being referred to the UN Security Council for possible sanctions.

But Iran has expressed frustration with the pace of the negotiations.

The sticking point is Iran’s ambition to master the full nuclear fuel cycle and European demands that Iran abandon such work. The EU-3 have rejected an Iranian proposal to begin a phased resumption of enrichment, drawing complaints from Iran that the talks are being deliberately dragged out so as to keep the freeze in place.

Aghazadeh said Iran had every right to resume conversion work, even though it has stopped short of resuming enrichment itself.

“The reason for this is that our suspension is voluntary, and legally (a resumption) does not need any permission or agreement,” he said, adding a decision to resume certain activities would provide a “necessary balance” to the talks.

Latest news

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Iran’s ‘No to Execution Tuesdays’ campaign marks 121st week

The “No to Execution Tuesdays” campaign entered its 121st week on Tuesday, May 19. Prisoners participating in the campaign...

Massive Washington Rally Highlights Growing Pressure on Iran’s Regime

Thousands of Iranian Americans, political activists, and former U.S. officials gathered in Washington, D.C. on May 16 for one...

French Magazine Exposes ‘Shah-Making Factory’: Fascist Networks and Lobbies Grooming the Shah’s Son as an Alternative to the Iranian Regime

The renowned French magazine Nouvel Observateur has published a comprehensive investigation by Marie Vaton exposing the hidden mechanisms of...

Must read

Iran police crackdown ‘targets foreign cars’

Daily Telegraph: Iranian police have launched a crackdown on...

US removes Chinese firm from sanctions blacklist over Iran

AFP: The US Treasury Department said Thursday it was...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you