Iran Nuclear NewsZimbabwe 'police seek journalists over Iran uranium story'

Zimbabwe ‘police seek journalists over Iran uranium story’

-

AFP: Zimbabwean police are looking for two journalists from the British newspaper The Times over a story about a secret uranium export deal between Zimbabwe and Iran, a state newspaper reported Sunday.
HARARE, Harare Province (AFP) — Zimbabwean police are looking for two journalists from the British newspaper The Times over a story about a secret uranium export deal between Zimbabwe and Iran, a state newspaper reported Sunday.

The two Times journalists, Jan Raath and Jerome Starkey, are wanted for “spreading falsehoods” after the uranium deal story was published in the London paper on Saturday, Zimbabwe’s Sunday Mail reported.

The Times quoting outgoing deputy minister of mines Gift Chimanikire wrote that Zimbabwe signed a deal with Iran to supply the Islamic republic with the raw materials needed to develop a nuclear weapon.

The United States and the European Union have imposed crippling sanctions on Iran over its nuclear programme, which Tehran insists is for peaceful energy uses but which the Western powers fear is intended to build an atomic bomb.

Zimbabwe is also subject to international sanctions over its human rights record and alleged election fraud.

President Robert Mugabe, who won another five-year term in disputed polls last month, has publicly backed Iran’s nuclear drive.

During a visit to Harare in 2010 by then Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Mugabe said his guest should be assured of “Zimbabwe’s continuous support of Iran’s just cause on the nuclear issue”.

Chimanikire could not be reached for comment but The Sunday Mail quoted him denying the story as “silly, speculative and dangerous”.

“No licence has been issued. I never said such a silly thing,” the paper quoted Chimanikire as saying.

When contacted by AFP, The Times newspaper said it was not aware of the story in the Zimbabwean press and would prepare a response.

But one of the two reporters, Starkey, tweeted about the report of the “manhunt” by Zimbabwean police. When asked if he planned to add the event to his CV, he tweeted: “Let’s wait and see that it ends ok.”

National police spokeswoman Charity Charamba claimed not to know about the search for the journalists.

“I have not heard about it. I only got a call from someone else who was inquiring,” she told AFP, saying she would have to look into it.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Gates meets with ruler of Emirates on Iran

New York Times: Defense secretary Robert M. Gates met...

Man hanged in public in holy Iran city

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Feb. 27 – A man...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you