Iran Nuclear NewsIran asks IAEA to remove chief inspector

Iran asks IAEA to remove chief inspector

-

AP: Iran has asked the International Atomic Energy Agency to remove the head of the inspection team probing Tehran’s nuclear program, U.N. officials said Sunday.
Associated Press

By GEORGE JAHN

Associated Press Writer

BETINA, Croatia (AP) – Iran has asked the International Atomic Energy Agency to remove the head of the inspection team probing Tehran’s nuclear program, U.N. officials said Sunday.

The inspector, Chris Charlier, has not been back to Iran since April because of Iranian displeasure with his work, the officials said.

However, Charlier remains the head of the team, they said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the issue was confidential.

The German newspaper Welt am Sonntag reported Sunday that Charlier had been removed from his post and assigned to other duties. It quoted him as saying he believes Iran is operating a clandestine nuclear program and suggested it was linked to weapons.

IAEA spokespeople in Vienna, Austria, declined comment Sunday.

Charlier, 61, has previously complained publicly that Iranian constraints made inspection work there difficult.

Tehran denies it is interested in nuclear weapons but revelations of past clandestine activities and finds of documents linked to warheads, along with its insistence on carrying out uranium enrichment, have heightened international suspicions.

Meanwhile, Tehran warned the Group of Eight Sunday against making any decisions on Iran’s nuclear program without consulting it first.

“Any (G-8) summit decision on Iran – if premature and incomplete – could harm the current positive trend of negotiations,” Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said, referring to talks with the European Union about an incentives package offered to Iran to end the impasse over its nuclear program.

“The G-8 summit won’t be comprehensive without Iran’s participation and opinion,” Mottaki said of the gathering by the leaders of the world’s largest economies that is scheduled to open Saturday in St. Petersburg, Russia.

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana and top Iran nuclear envoy Ali Larijani met in Brussels, Belgium, last week. A formal meeting is scheduled for Tuesday.

On Sunday, Mottaki reiterated that Iran would give a formal response to the offer by the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council and Germany next month. He hinted that Tehran planned to negotiate some aspects of the package first.

The West wants Iran to respond to the incentives before the G-8 summit.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran’s next cabinet to be made up “exclusively” of hard-liners

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jul. 29 - A leading...

Iranian Media Warns Over Uprising 

By Jubin Katiraie Iranian state-run media spent Sunday warning officials...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you