Iran Nuclear NewsIran says nuclear enrichment work has not stopped

Iran says nuclear enrichment work has not stopped

-

Reuters: Iran is pressing ahead with nuclear enrichment activities at its underground Natanz facility, foreign ministry spokesman said on Sunday, dismissing some suggestions that the disputed enrichment work had stalled. TEHRAN (Reuters) – Iran is pressing ahead with nuclear enrichment activities at its underground Natanz facility, foreign ministry spokesman said on Sunday, dismissing some suggestions that the disputed enrichment work had stalled.

“Our activities at the Natanz nuclear enrichment facility continue as scheduled,” Mohammad Ali Hosseini told a weekly news conference.

As an immediate reaction to the U.N. Security Council sanctions resolution passed on December 23, Iran said defiantly it would immediately start installing 3,000 centrifuges, which experts say could enrich uranium in sufficient volume for power plant fuel, or for one bomb within a year.

But western diplomats and analysts told Reuters last week that Iran appeared not to have begun installing the machines for planned “industrial scale” output of enriched uranium.

Iran has vowed never to heed the Council’s demand to shelve nuclear enrichment work, saying it needs nuclear fuel only for power plants, not for bombs as the United States and EU allies — who sponsored sanctions — suspect.

Some diplomats believed that Iran was reacting cautiously to the resolution following election losses by nuclear hardliners to moderates counselling restraint.

Iran’s parliament last month passed a bill obliging the government to revise its level of cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and to accelerate nuclear work.

But Iran’s chief nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani said Tehran had no intention of pulling out of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and ending IAEA inspections of its nuclear sites.

Iran already has two cascades of 164 centrifuges running, which spin at supersonic speeds to enrich uranium, and has said it plans to install 3,000 centrifuges by March 2007 at its pilot plant in Natanz, which Tehran says will eventually house tens of thousands of the machines.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has dismissed the U.N. resolution as just a “piece of torn paper”, calling on the West to learn to live with an Iran that possesses nuclear energy technology.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Iran’s former president meets ex-Iraqi PM

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Feb. 12 – Iran’s former...

Reliance cuts ’09 Iran crude imports 25 pct

Reuters: India's Reliance Industries will import about 25 percent...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you