AFP: Iran believes that a military strike against its nuclear installations is “highly improbable” but has nonetheless taken the necessary precautions in case it is attacked, a top official said on Wednesday. TEHRAN, Jan 17, 2007 (AFP) – Iran believes that a military strike against its nuclear installations is “highly improbable” but has nonetheless taken the necessary precautions in case it is attacked, a top official said on Wednesday.
“We think that it is highly improbable that our nuclear sites would be bombed but we have taken the necessary precautions even for this,” said Mohammad Saeedi, vice president of Iran’s atomic energy organisation, according to the ISNA agency.
The United States and Israel, Iran’s two arch-enemies, have never ruled out military action against the Islamic republic to thwart its nuclear programme, which they allege is aimed at making an atomic weapon.
Saeedi did not specify what the precautions have involved.
A report in a British newspaper earlier this month said that Israel was already planning a small-scale nuclear strike on Iranian nuclear sites, although this was strongly denied by the Jewish state.
Iran has already been hit by UN Security Council sanctions over its nuclear programme, which it insists is peaceful and aimed at meeting the energy needs of a growing population.
Saeedi also said Iran would press on with its nuclear programme, even if the UN Security Council agreed even tougher resolutions against Tehran in the future.
“Even if worse resolutions are adopted, we have started our work and we will continue with it. The secret of our success is unity,” he said.
“UN Security Council resolutions will not prevent the Iranian people from achieving their objectives,” he added.