Iran TerrorismKuwait urges Iran 'not to harbour terrorists'

Kuwait urges Iran ‘not to harbour terrorists’

-

ImageAFP: Kuwait's interior minister urged Iran in remarks published on Saturday not to provide a safe haven for "terrorists" but said there was no proof of claims that Tehran has sleeper cells in his country.

ImageRIYADH (AFP) — Kuwait's interior minister urged Iran in remarks published on Saturday not to provide a safe haven for "terrorists" but said there was no proof of claims that Tehran has sleeper cells in his country.

"Iran should not serve as a haven for, or bankroller of, terror," Sheikh Jaber Khaled al-Sabah was quoted as telling the Saudi daily Okaz.

It said Sheikh Jaber called on Iran "not to harbour terrorists from Al-Qaeda and not to serve as a launchpad or safe passage for terrorists."

Despite the implicit accusation that Iran harbours terror suspects, Sheikh Jaber dismissed claims by two Kuwaiti MPs that sleeper cells attached to Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards were operating in the oil-rich Gulf state.

"I wish the two MPs had shown the evidence they have. Intelligence (services) are present everywhere" but it is up to a country's security services to deal with them, Sheikh Jaber said.

"So far we did not uncover any such" Iran-linked cells, he said.

Kuwait's defence minister on Monday dismissed as "mere rumours" a claim that spy rings from neighbouring countries were in the emirate.

He did not specifically name Iran, but was apparently referring to a claim by an Iranian defector that the Revolutionary Guards run sleeper cells in the six Arab monarchies of the Gulf.

Iran's Defence Minister Mustafa Mohammad Najjar has denied the allegation.

In the remarks reported by Okaz, the Kuwaiti interior minister did not rule out that Al-Qaeda may have sleeper cells in Kuwait.

"We do not deny this, and we do not deny that we are always on the alert, as our security forces have shown… I do not rule out the presence of (Al-Qaeda-linked) groups whether in Kuwait or in the Gulf," he said.

Kuwaiti security forces fought deadly gunbattles with a group linked to Al-Qaeda in January 2005.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Nobel Laureates’ Letter Over Iran Coronavirus Coverup

By Jubin Katiraie Twenty-one Nobel Laureates have written to the United Nations’ Secretary-General Antonio Guterres...

U.S. forces in Iraq detain, kill Iran-backed suspects

Reuters: U.S. forces in Iraq captured two suspected members...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you