Iran TerrorismNigeria summons Iran diplomats over seized arms

Nigeria summons Iran diplomats over seized arms

-

Reuters: Nigeria summoned Iran’s ambassador on Thursday over an arms shipment it seized last month and the Iranian foreign minister is expected to take part in the discussions, a Nigerian official and foreign diplomats said.

ABUJA Nov 11 (Reuters) – Nigeria summoned Iran’s ambassador on Thursday over an arms shipment it seized last month and the Iranian foreign minister is expected to take part in the discussions, a Nigerian official and foreign diplomats said.

Nigeria’s secret service intercepted 13 containers in the main port of Lagos two weeks ago which were found to contain rocket launchers, grenades and other explosives and ammunition.

French-based shipping group CMA CGM later said the containers, which were labelled as building materials, had been loaded in Iran by a local trader.

“The Iranian ambassador has been summoned…and he is holding a meeting with the (Nigerian) foreign affairs minister,” said an official at the Foreign Ministry, who refused to be named.

“Part of the agenda of the meeting is the issue of the shipment of explosives and the visit of the foreign affairs minister of Iran,” the official told Reuters.

Diplomats in New York said Iran would appear to be in breach of the United Nations sanctions regime, which forbids it from exporting any kind of weapons directly or indirectly, if the seized weapons were originally loaded on its territory.

But they said it was difficult to assess the case because Nigeria had not yet notified the U.N. Security Council’s Iran sanctions committee about the seizure.

An official at the Iranian embassy in Abuja confirmed that Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki was in Nigeria but declined to comment further.

A diplomat with access to intelligence on Iran told Reuters in New York Mottaki had gone to Abuja to discuss the seized arms and to secure permission from the Nigerians to bring two Iranians linked to the shipment back to Tehran.

The diplomat, who spoke on condition that neither his name nor nationality be identified, said the two Iranians were at the Iranian embassy in Abuja and that Tehran appeared reluctant to have them questioned by Nigerian authorities. (For full Reuters Africa coverage and to have your say on the top issues, visit: af.reuters.com/ ) (Reporting by Felix Onuah, Nick Tattersall in Lagos and Lou Charbonneau in New York; Writing by Nick Tattersall; Editing by Diana Abdallah)

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran vows crackdown if merchants strike over cuts in subsidies

Bloomberg: Iran’s government vowed a crackdown against merchants in...

Iran survey: 92 percent of voters to stay away from presidential polls

Iran Focus: Tehran, Jun. 01 - A nationwide survey...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you