Iran TerrorismEvidence That Iran Ordered Houthi Missile Attacks on Saudi...

Evidence That Iran Ordered Houthi Missile Attacks on Saudi Arabia

-

Iran Focus

London, 02 Feb – The US showed foreign ambassadors evidence, on Monday, that the ballistic missiles fired into Saudi Arabia by Houthi rebels in Yemen came from Iran.

They showed reports from Iranian opposition groups, the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) and the People’s Mujahedeen Organization of Iran (MEK), that Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) had directly ordered the launches.

The NCRI and MEK cited sources inside the regime and said that the missiles are being built in factories affiliated with the IRGC’s aerospace division.

Their statement read: “According to these sources, the Houthis received training from IRGC and the Lebanese Hezbollah on how to handle and use the missiles.”

The groups also identified shipping companies which are facilitating the smuggling of weapons to the Houthis, in violation of a 2015 UN Security Council resolution against arming the rebels, and Iranian proxies elsewhere in the world.

The transfer of ballistic missiles by Iran also violates the resolution which enshrines the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA or 2015 nuclear deal).

US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley brought her 14 UN Security Council counterparts to examine the evidence.

She said: “We wanted to bring the Security Council members to see the material so they could decide for themselves. We believe what the council saw today makes it clear that the evidence continues to grow that Iran is blatantly ignoring its international obligations.”

She continued: “Iran’s aggression is a threat not just to its neighbours, but to the entire world – it cannot get away with this lawless behaviour any longer. We will continue to call out Iran’s actions every chance we can until they change course and abide by their commitments.”

The items on display for the inspectors included fragments believed to be unique to Iran’s Qiam missile and debris stamped with the logo of the Shahid Bagheri Industrial Group, a US- and UN-sanctioned Iranian missile manufacturer.

The NCRI and MEK report that the Shahid Bagheri Industrial Group has three manufacturing facilities in Iran, which produce parts for ballistic missiles including the Qiam, as well as for various types of surface-to-surface missiles.

The Iran-backed Houthis have fired a number of missiles at Saudi Arabia since 2015, but luckily they have been shot down by Saudi air defence systems.

Last month, Haley held a press conference to present evidence from the Saudi government, including fragments of one shot down missile that had the hallmarks of those made in Iran.

Latest news

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

Must read

Iran hangs nine, including woman

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, May 7 - Iran has...

Report: Iranian ex-vice president returns to jail

AP: Iran's state television says a former vice president...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you