Iran TerrorismIran-Backed Houthis Sink Second Commercial Ship in the Red...

Iran-Backed Houthis Sink Second Commercial Ship in the Red Sea

-

On Wednesday, June 19, the world’s top shipping companies released a joint statement after the sinking of a second ship in the Red Sea, calling for immediate actions to stop Yemeni Houthis’ attacks on commercial ships in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

The Greek-owned cargo ship Tutor was attacked by Iran-backed Houthis last week, and observers confirmed its sinking on Wednesday. This is the second commercial ship to sink due to Houthi attacks in the region. The Houthis have also seized another ship and its crew.

The Houthis began their drone and missile attacks on ships in the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea in November, claiming solidarity with the people of Gaza. Three sailors have been killed in these Houthi attacks.

Sabrina Singh, the Deputy Pentagon Press Secretary, reported on Tuesday, June 18, that the Houthis have carried out about 190 attacks since they began their assaults.

The world’s top shipping companies said in their joint statement that it is deplorable that innocent seafarers are being attacked while simply performing their duties, transporting energy, food, and clothing to various parts of the world.

Reuters, citing informed sources, reported that the Tutor ship was hit by a missile and a remotely controlled boat filled with explosives.

International naval forces have been deployed in the region to provide defensive support to ships still navigating the Red Sea, but Houthi attacks have significantly increased.

Reuters also reported, citing sources in the insurance industry, that there are growing concerns about the Houthis’ use of unmanned assault boats.

Munro Anderson, head of operations at maritime war risk and insurance specialist Vessel Protect, also told   that the Houthis, who carried out five attacks in May, have conducted ten attacks so far in June.

Informed sources in the insurance industry said that the additional war risk premium, which is paid when ships pass through the Red Sea, has recently been around 0.7% of the value of a ship, down from about 1% earlier this year.

They added that with the sinking of the second ship and the potential damages resulting from it, the increased insurance rates are likely to remain stable, adding hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional costs to the voyages of ships passing through the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

Stephen Cotton, the general secretary of the International Transport Workers’ Federation, said that ships should change their routes towards South Africa. This is the best way to protect the seafarers.

He added that they also welcome proper escort and protection of the ships by naval forces, as this measure reduces the risks of ships being hit.

Latest news

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Cost of Living Basket Several Times Higher Than Iranian Workers’ Wages

Workers' cost of living has come under pressure from inflation and low wages. July inflation data point to intensifying...

‘No To Executions Tuesdays’ Campaign Expands to 60 Prisons Across Iran

According to human rights sources in Iran, the "No to Executions Tuesdays" campaign has expanded to 60 prisons across...

Iranian Regime Parliament Issues New Plan to Counter ‘Infiltration’

The general framework of the proposal titled "Countering the Infiltration of Intelligence Services and Foreign Governments or Institutions" was...

People In Iran Can No Longer Afford to Repair Household Appliances

The sharp rise in living costs in Iran has prevented many citizens from repairing household appliances, forcing them to...

Must read

Biden to nudge Iraq on sluggish efforts to form a government

Los Angeles Times: As the U.S. prepares to exit...

Iran daily criticises Chirac for meddling in Iran’s internal affairs

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Sep. 01 – A semi-official...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you