Iran TerrorismInterpol issues wanted notices for Iranians

Interpol issues wanted notices for Iranians

-

Reuters: Interpol on Wednesday issued wanted notices for six Iranians in connection with the 1994 bombing of a Jewish centre in Argentina in which 85 people were killed. By Tom Pfeiffer

MARRAKESH, Morocco, Nov 7 (Reuters) – Interpol on Wednesday issued wanted notices for six Iranians in connection with the 1994 bombing of a Jewish centre in Argentina in which 85 people were killed.

Despite heavy diplomatic pressure from Iran, delegates at the world police body’s annual general assembly in Morocco voted by 66 percent in favour of issuing the “Red Notices” seeking the extradition of the wanted people, delegates said.

Argentina last year ordered an international warrant for the arrest of former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani and eight other Iranians on charges of masterminding the attack.

Interpol said in March it would issue its own wanted notices against six people, leaving out Rafsanjani.

Iran has repeatedly denied any link to the bombing and says Interpol risks being dragged away from police work into the realm of politics. Tehran blames the United States and Israel for trying to implicate the Islamic Republic in the attack.

In a statement after the vote, Interpol’s President Jackie Selebi said Argentina and Iran had been treated fairly and impartially, but an Iranian delegation official slammed the move.

“It is a political vote and not acceptable for us,” an Iranian delegate who asked not to be named told Reuters.

“The testimony is not credible.”

The delegate said Argentina had been told to produce new evidence to back up the arrest notices but had failed to do so.

Iran would review the situation and determine how to react, he added.

The cat-and-mouse diplomacy took another turn in August when an Iranian court sent Argentina a summons for five Argentines.

The summons accused former judge Juan Jose Galeano, former Argentine Interior Minister Carlos Corach and three civil leaders of “actions against the security of the Islamic Republic”.

Interpol, which was holding its annual general assembly in Marrakesh, Morocco, issued over 2,800 red notices last year.

The notices seek the arrest of a wanted person with a view to extradition but do not force a country to arrest named suspects. (Editing by Ibon Villelabeitia)

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

London rally highlights attacks on Iraqis

PA: Members of the Iranian resistance movement rallied in...

30,000 Iranian Physicians Living Below Poverty Line

Iran Focus: Tehran, Sep. 23 – In a country...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you