Iran General NewsFrance demands release of Iranian filmmaker

France demands release of Iranian filmmaker

-

AFP: France on Wednesday called on Iran to immediately release jailed filmmaker Jafar Panahi and allow him to take his seat as a member of the jury at the Cannes film festival.

 

PARIS (AFP) — France on Wednesday called on Iran to immediately release jailed filmmaker Jafar Panahi and allow him to take his seat as a member of the jury at the Cannes film festival.

“He is one of the most eminent representatives of Iranian film and his place is at the festival where he has been invited as a member of the jury,” said Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner and Culture Minister Frederic Mitterrand in a joint statement.

Panahi, 49, has been held in Tehran’s notorious Evin prison since March 1, when he was arrested by Iranian authorities, reportedly because he was making a film about the disputed 2009 presidential election.

“We call for his immediate release and urge the Tehran authorities to respect the fundamental right of Iranians to freedom of expression and creativity,” the ministers added.

The appeal came on the opening day of the Cannes film festival, with the jury led by US director Tim Burton set to award the coveted Palme d’Or prize on May 23rd at the gala in the southern Riviera resort.

Panahi is known for his gritty, socially critical movies such as “The Circle,” which clinched the 2000 Venice Golden Lion award, “Crimson Gold” and “Offside,” winner of the 2006 Silver Bear at the Berlin film festival.

In February he was banned from attending the Berlin film festival.

Iran’s culture minister said last month Panahi had been arrested for making an anti-regime film.

His plight has drawn appeals from the US film world and beyond.

Hollywood heavyweights Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Robert Redford, Francis Ford Coppola, Joel and Ethan Coen, Ang Lee, Michael Moore and Oliver Stone signed a petition earlier this month demanding his release.

On Tuesday, Amnesty International called on Tehran to allow Panahi to go to Cannes, saying “an empty chair at the Cannes Film Festival… will highlight the folly and injustice of Iran’s crackdown on those who have peacefully criticised the government.”

In a signed letter released by the Iranian ILNA news agency in March, 50 Iranian filmmakers and artists called for Panahi to be set free.

Latest news

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Middle Eastern Countries Seek Ways to Move Oil Through the Strait of Hormuz

An Iraqi government source told the Iraqi news outlet Shafagh News that Iraq's State Oil Marketing Organization (SOMO) is...

Iran’s Regime Plans Fuel Rationing, Higher Gasoline Prices Within Next 15 Days

Esmail Saghab-Esfahani, a vice president of Iran's regime, said on Saturday, August 15, that Iran's daily gasoline consumption is...

Iranian Regime Drone Attack on Office of Prime Minister of Kurdistan Region of Iraq

Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, announced that his private office and the residence of...

Iran’s Regime is Rebuilding the Security Circle Around Mojtaba Khamenei with New Security Figure

The return of Hossein Taeb to the Iranian regime's security structures, at a time when the balance of power...

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Must read

Iran: New chief appointed for secretive military unit

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Mar. 01 – The Supreme...

Tehran’s Monopoly and Economic Instability

Since the ayatollahs and their brokers captured Iran's economy,...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you