Iran General NewsIran media subsidies to be based on loyalty: minister

Iran media subsidies to be based on loyalty: minister

-

AFP: Iranian newspapers will receive government aid based on their loyalty to the establishment, Culture and Islamic Guidance Minister Mohammad Hosseini was quoted as saying by media on Thursday.

TEHRAN (AFP) — Iranian newspapers will receive government aid based on their loyalty to the establishment, Culture and Islamic Guidance Minister Mohammad Hosseini was quoted as saying by media on Thursday.

“The subsidies allocated to newspapers will be given in line with their stance. We cannot aid newspapers that go against the path of the establishment,” Hosseini added without naming specific media.

“We will not provide aid to print media, book publishers and film-makers that go contrary to the path of the establishment, but we will help those newspapers whose stance is in line with the establishment’s aims,” he said.

The authorities have cracked down on the media and journalists since the disputed June 2009 re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, which the opposition dismissed as massively rigged, sparking street protests.

Several newspapers close to the opposition have been closed and dozens of journalists have been rounded up and sentenced to heavy prison terms.

Ahmadinejad’s government has cracked down on critical media, mostly in the rival reformist camp, although some conservative publications have also been hit by closures.

Earlier this month, the authorities revoked the filming permit for internationally acclaimed director Asghar Farhadi’s unfinished movie because of his support for dissident film-makers.

Iranian film-makers need the culture ministry’s permission before shooting, and all artistic productions and books are subject to vetting before release.

Many film-makers, writers and artists have complained about increased censorship under Ahmadinejad, and most backed opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi in last year’s presidential election.

The authorities jailed celebrated director Jafar Panahi for three months this year over an “unauthorised” film about the post-election unrest amid a crackdown on critics and opposition supporters.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Iran angered by new UN chief’s nuclear talk

AFP: Iran on Thursday condemned remarks by the UN's...

Powell says US on the ‘march’ to refer Iran to UN Security Council

AFP: The United States has seen no sign Iran...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you