Iran General NewsGerman fisher to go on trial in Iran

German fisher to go on trial in Iran

-

AFP: A German arrested along with a Frenchman during a fishing trip off the coast of southern Iran will go on trial in the city of Bandar Abbas on Thursday, the German foreign ministry said on Tuesday. BERLIN, Jan 3 (AFP) – A German arrested along with a Frenchman during a fishing trip off the coast of southern Iran will go on trial in the city of Bandar Abbas on Thursday, the German foreign ministry said on Tuesday.

The pair, who were arrested more than a month ago, stand accused of illegally entering Iranian waters.

A spokesman for the ministry told AFP the 52-year-old German would be represented by an Iranian lawyer from Bandar Abbas, in southern Iran, “who knows this kind of case well, having defended other foreigners”.

He said he did not know if the Frenchman would go on trial at the same time.

The German and the Frenchman were on holiday in the United Arab Emirates when they were reported missing on November 29 by the German’s wife, who was also holidaying with them.

The German foreign ministry in late December confirmed an initial report of the men’s detention in the German regional press.

Reports said they had hired a boat and sailed to an island near the straits of Hormuz, the entrance to the Gulf from the Indian Ocean.

A source close to the case in Paris said that “the French skipper had not been aware that they were entering Iranian territorial waters or a prohibited zone.”

The German foreign ministry spokesman said the German was under arrest in a private house and was “being treated well”.

“A representative of the German embassy in Tehran will be present at the opening of the trial,” he added.

A spokesman for the Iranian foreign ministry, Hamid Reza Asefi, earlier on Tuesday said the two would go on trial “if necessary”, depending on the opinion of the judges who investigated the case.

“They are safe and sound,” he said, adding that the men had access to their respective embassy representatives.

Latest news

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Middle Eastern Countries Seek Ways to Move Oil Through the Strait of Hormuz

An Iraqi government source told the Iraqi news outlet Shafagh News that Iraq's State Oil Marketing Organization (SOMO) is...

Iran’s Regime Plans Fuel Rationing, Higher Gasoline Prices Within Next 15 Days

Esmail Saghab-Esfahani, a vice president of Iran's regime, said on Saturday, August 15, that Iran's daily gasoline consumption is...

Iranian Regime Drone Attack on Office of Prime Minister of Kurdistan Region of Iraq

Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, announced that his private office and the residence of...

Iran’s Regime is Rebuilding the Security Circle Around Mojtaba Khamenei with New Security Figure

The return of Hossein Taeb to the Iranian regime's security structures, at a time when the balance of power...

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Must read

China, Russia urge Iran to show nuclear plans peaceful

Reuters: The foreign ministers of China, Russia and India...

Widespread Explosions in Mahshahr and Damage to the Bushehr Power Plant

As tensions escalated, on Saturday, April 4, a wave...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you