Iran General NewsBeckett: no-one intends to attack Iran

Beckett: no-one intends to attack Iran

-

Daily Telegraph: Margaret Beckett has echoed her Foreign Office predecessor Jack Straw’s firm stance on Iran, insisting that no-one intends to take military action against the state. Daily Telegraph

Margaret Beckett has echoed her Foreign Office predecessor Jack Straw’s firm stance on Iran, insisting that no-one intends to take military action against the state.

But the new Foreign Secretary stopped short of adopting Mr Straw’s strong language on the subject.

Jack Straw went on record several times saying that a military strike on Iran was “inconceivable”, prompting speculation that he had been sacked because of his unequivocal stance.

Yesterday, Tony Blair dismissed such claims as “utterly absurd” and said he had no doubt that foreign policy would “not change one iota” under Mrs Beckett.

Asked whether she also believed a military strike on Iran was inconceivable, Mrs Beckett said: “You’re inviting me to tread down the path of talking about military action – I’m not going to do that.

“Everybody expresses their views, their stance, in their own way. The way that I choose to express it is that it’s not anybody’s intention to take the course of military action.

“That I think is simple and straightforward and clear.”

Just three days after getting the job she was thrown in at the diplomatic deep end, heading to New York for her first meeting with her American counterpart Condoleezza Rice and discussions with other foreign ministers aimed at finding a common approach towards Teheran.

Mrs Beckett said she, the American Secretary of State and their colleagues from France, Germany, Russia and China had not discussed the text of a proposed resolution demanding that Iran ends its uranium enrichment work – a key step in developing a nuclear bomb.

But she said they were all agreed that no-one wanted Iran to have nuclear weapons and that it should stop enrichment work.

Officials had a “good deal of work” to do when they come back to the negotiating table this morning to try to reach an agreement on a resolution, against the background of “clear common ground” on objectives, she added.

“What people are concerned to do is to get Iran to recognise the strong view and the clear will of the international community that they should comply with the IEAE (International Atomic Energy Agency) board.”

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Iran to sign oil fields development deal – SHANA

Reuters: Iran and an Iranian-Australian consortium with Chinese ...

Obama says U.S. will deal harshly with violators of Iran sanctions

Reuters: President Barack Obama issued a sharp warning on...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you