News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqNew commander takes charge as US prepares to accuse...

New commander takes charge as US prepares to accuse Iran

-

The Independent on Sunday: The new US military commander in Iraq warned yesterday that the country was “doomed to continued violence and civil strife” if American and Iraqi forces did not work together. The Independent

By Lauren Frayer in Baghdad

The new US military commander in Iraq warned yesterday that the country was “doomed to continued violence and civil strife” if American and Iraqi forces did not work together.

General David Petraeus took command of the 135,000-strong US force, declaring: “We will have to share the burdens and move forward together. If we can do that and if we can help the people of Iraq, the prospects of success are good. Failing that, Iraq will be doomed to continued violence and civil strife.”

Standing under a crystal chandelier in one of Saddam Hussein’s former palaces, General Petraeus said the task before him was “exceedingly challenging. The way ahead will be hard, and there undoubtedly will be many tough days. But as I recently told members of the US Senate, hard is not hopeless.”

The Princeton-educated general takes command at a time when the Bush administration has focused on Iran as a key factor in the turmoil in Iraq.

National security officials in Washington and Iraq have worked for weeks on a presentation intended to provide evidence for the administration’s claims of what they say are Iran’s deadly activities. US officials in Baghdad scheduled a briefing for reporters today at which it is expected detailed evidence will be produced about Iranian involvement, linking serial numbers to explosives used by insurgents in Iraq.

Hitherto, US officials have said little about the evidence, which includes documents and items collected in raids in Iraq, to bolster such claims. Among the recovered weapons is a roadside bomb known as an “explosively formed penetrator”, which can pierce the armour of Abrams tanks with nearly molten-hot charges. One intelligence official said the US is “fairly comfortable” that it knows the source of the explosives.

The Pentagon announced the death of three more US soldiers in an explosion in Diyala province north-east of Baghdad. This takes the number of Americans killed in Iraq so far this month to 36.

Latest news

Iran’s New Generation Seeks Nothing but Regime Change

In a silly and desperate statement, the Iranian regime’s foreign minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian claimed that nothing special is going...

Iran’s Youths Broke the Spell of Fear

One of the main characteristics of the recent protests in Iran is the courage and fearlessness of the people,...

Iran Is on the Brink of a Revolution

The wall of fear has been broken. In many cities across Iran, women are taking to the streets, leading...

Iran’s Regime Claims To Fill Global Energy Gap Despite Crippled Petroleum Sector

In recent weeks, the Iranian regime’s officials have been constantly exaggerating their huge capacity in oil and gas reserves...

What Is Happening in Iran?

Following the brutal killing of Masha Amini, the Iranian people have once again united to fight and defeat the...

Iran Regime’s Ministry of Culture’s Decision To Eliminate Children’s Intellectual Centers

With the so-called ‘Cultural Revolution’ which took place between 1980 and 1983, the Iranian regime tried to purge the...

Must read

Iraq crisis: Prime Minister Maliki refuses to stand down as Isis militants advance on oil refinery 

The Independent: Iraq’s Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has refused calls...

US to allow families to see Iranians held in Iraq

AFP: The US military will allow family members to...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you